Anyone tried windows 7 yet ?

Andyuk2007

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone tried installing the public release of windows 7 yet ? well i tried but unfortunely i got a BSOD towards the end of the installation :confused: I was able to see and it was doing a memory dump so i'm not sure why that occured.

I plan to try tommorow and do a clean install instead of the upgrade option. My hardware is compatible so i dunno why it failed.

My motherboard is compatible as it says so here

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=ASUS%20P5B%20Deluxe&v=ASUStek&uid=&pf=0&pi=0&s=asus%20p5b%20deluxe&os=32-bit

Yeah, I tied it... Just like Vista it's all "bells and whistles" and not much else. Should be a wonderful thing for those easily amused by bright shinny bobbles....

I've got the last beta that was release installed as a dual boot. It reminds me a lot like Vista. Some of the new features are useless.

It just reminds me of a better performing Vista.

Here is a little comparison between Windows 7 beta, Vista and XP. Click here.

The only thing like Vista is glass. Much improved. Much faster than Vista , better memory management, no blue screens, no freeze ups, only one program incompatibility issue.

Over all going from Vista to 7 is like going from windows 95 with a virus to XP Pro SP3.

tested works great, just installed on an asus 900a and it flies, only one problem how did this happen,

picture.php

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop
Key: PaintDesktopVersion
0: Off
1: On

That's the key in XP and Vista. Probably the same in 7.

that would only disable or enable, i used pe explorer, and modified user32.dll.mui, i modified the winlogon.exe.mui to get my name on the welcome screen.

Its great that M$ "allows" you to personlize windows. :)

ps. does anyone know what this string means "Booting from a VHD is not supported on this system"
i found it in winlogon.exe.mui

Last edited:
I didn't even notice the other stuff.:) I didn't have my glasses on and only saw that there was text down there. That's great!

Not sure about that string. I would assume "Virtual Hard Disk", but MS has as many acronyms as they do money. Who Knows?

i was thinking virtualhd, but how would i boot from a vhd, unless M$ has something up ther sleves, it would be great if we could boot our pc's from vhd's on any computer, and use the same vhd in a vm.

I'm not sure about that one. Maybe something to do with XP mode. I'll have to do some research after some sleep and the beer is out of my system.

I think what really ticks me off, is that you can only upgrade from Vista to 7 not from XP to 7. Means I would have to buy a Vista to buy a 7 :mad: Of course I do not believe in upgrades, but still it is M$'s way of making more money.

I think what really ticks me off, is that you can only upgrade from Vista to 7 not from XP to 7. Means I would have to buy a Vista to buy a 7 :mad: Of course I do not believe in upgrades, but still it is M$'s way of making more money.

I don't have such a problem with that. Is it an inconvenience?, yes.
Maybe it has to do with the differences between XP and 7, maybe possibly avoiding bugs and making it easier to avoid other quirks and issues by only allowing a clean install from XP.

I also see another benefit, there are tons of people out there, who have
infected XP machines and don't even realize it. So a clean install of 7 will be a great thing for them, that is until they get that infected too.

I have yet to really tinker with it, but I installed 7 on a desktop computer of mine. Installation was very quick and very very easy.

Back