Anyone has any experience with Isilon IQ6000i?

ikalo

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently found an old Isilon IQ6000i server and Isilon IQ6000x SAS HDD enclosure gathering dust.

Both are powering on, but both have some issues with ventilators. I don't have external SAS cable to check if IQ6000x is working as intended.

Issue with ventilators on both is this: ventilators are on full power all the time and the PCB board that is used to connect them to the MotherBoard is having all "Fan Failure" LEDs on. Also front display on IQ6000i is not working, just the blue power led in shape of two circles (that are part of Isilon logo).

I was googling for a few weeks now, but couldn't find any info or drivers about them, only info sheet from CNET. Isilon is now part of DELL EMC I guess, but there is nothing on their support pages about model I have.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions what could be culprit, and if it is complicated to fix?

Server is working, latest Debian distribution is running on it, and I can use it as CHIA harvester, but vents are driving me crazy.

cheers

Velimir

yes, I see those response too :)
In your intro you state "This gives me access to used hardware for cheap, and in spare time I like to play with it at home.."
With respect, I'd advise you continue to pursue your query on Bleeping Computer, as Technibble is intended for repair technicians servicing paying clients' computers.

Reactions: GTP
Ofcourse, but if anyone here knows anything about that model, please don't hold back.
People are holding back because (1) we don't give advice to end users and (2) you haven't convinced us that you're not an end user. Your introduction is a bit light on detail, and as membership here is restricted to professional computer technicians and the owners of computer repair businesses (plus a few special cases) it would help to reassure us all if you could tell us more about your business and your specific involvement in it.

Ultimately, of course, this is the sort of thing that only a giant cat can resolve.

@Kitten Kong - your thoughts?

yes, I am the end user, and I never said otherwise, sorry for not being totally clear about it.
Also I am not usual end user, I am also IT tech, so I am not totally novice either. I do work for paying customers, just not on this particular project.
I am watching this same question on other two forums (like you already noticed). But this server is some really rare model I guess, since I can't find any useful info about it on the internet. So I just want to say, if anyone has any idea where I could find more info about it's hardware, just post a link and I'll go from there.
Anyway, I get the meaning of post by Computer Bloke, so I will not post more about this Isilon here, but in future if I have some customers broken hardware that I can't solve, I know where to ask.
sorry if were misleading in any way, it wasn't intentional.
cheers
Velimir

Anyway, I get the meaning of post by Computer Bloke, so I will not post more about this Isilon here
Hmm. I'm not quite sure that I expressed my meaning clearly enough.

We have a recurring problem with random end users turning up claiming to be technicians and immediately asking for free support; the pattern is usually a brief, vague introduction followed immediately by a very specific technical question. It raises red flags for a lot of us.

Once you've been approved as a legitimate member (which the huge feline has just done) asking questions about your own equipment is perfectly fine. We're happy to help other technicians (if we can) as long as it's not taking the bread from our children's mouths.

In other words, ask away!

Now, back to your original question. Isilon IQ6000i? Sorry, never heard of it.

Looked up the motherboard...from 2004. If it was mine I would be recycling it. I'm sure it's a power hog too.

Looked up the motherboard...from 2004. If it was mine I would be recycling it. I'm sure it's a power hog too.
It works just fine. Not spending much power, because it is idle all the time. It is just fan on 100% that is driving me crazy. And it is overheating if I disconnect all fans, shuts down in 30-40 minutes.
I guess that only thing I could do is to rewire the fans with longer cables and plug them in directly to motherboard... sounds like I am going to have fun weekend :)
I wouldn't mind to recycle it, but it can read new SAS drives just fine, and it can take 12 of them. It is chia farming heaven. Just plot, plug and play :)
I think that is it. Thank you guys for reading and suggesting.
cheers

Back