Any thoughts about ZOHO Assist or other budget remote suopport software?

Berg

Reaction score
I need software forone technician and only a dozen or so remote customers. TeamViewer is way to expensive. any ideas or experiences from 2021 would be great.

I've used both Zoho and the one by MSP360. Both are good if you want one time access. if you want to use them for unattended support, I'd look at something else or at least the paid version of Zoho. Not sure about this one that Sky recommended. I've never heard of them, but I'm going to look them up now.

I've used both Zoho and the one by MSP360. Both are good if you want one time access. if you want to use them for unattended support, I'd look at something else or at least the paid version of Zoho. Not sure about this one that Sky recommended. I've never heard of them, but I'm going to look them up now.

It's not a "them". It's an open source project that you can self host. @cyabro Obviously knows it, because he referenced MeshCentral, which is the name of the webui that controls it.

In many ways you can consider it an open source RMM. But it's more like an Open Source Logmein. The project is supported by Intel. You install it via an agent on the endpoint. You can group devices, and users, set permissions based on such. User auth can be TOTP protected. It does remote command line access without user interruption, inventory, HTML5 based remote control via the graphical console both with and without notification to the local user. Dedicated file transfers that also don't interrupt the user. The blasted thing even has a buried little tool called MeshRouter, that allows the tech to map local ports on his machine, to local ports on the remote machine in effect turning the entire system into an SSL VPN.

Do try it, and then ask yourself why the crap you PAY for these features anymore. Because aside from the cost of hosting, I don't see much value in this space anymore.

Remotely does much the same stuff, but boasts a far more modern interface. It might actually be the better option.

Zoho assist works pretty good. It’s not the best ever, but 25 seats for $25 CAD a month isn’t bad. We are on the enterprise package for our users so there might be a discount on ZA.

How I missed my old legacy screen connect licenses at my old place.

Splashtop is the only fully featured remote support application that I could find with reasonable pricing. I wouldn't self host my remote support software any more than I'd self host my own website. The risk if downtime is too great and I don't want to be responsible for fixing it when it breaks. I hosted my own website when I first started using this software (which is surprisingly still around):

Downtime happened at least once a month and it required maintenance. No thanks. I'll pay $10/month to have it hosted by an actual web hosting company.

Back