Any laws about how long to hold customers unclaimed electronics?

carlitos31

Reaction score
I am on clean/uncluttering mode, and I have like 8 screens ( 7 dead, one works), as well as some non-fixable computers ( some have working hard drives) left by customers and never claimed, all of them have been at least 2 years here ( basically pre-covid). I am in California if that matters. Is there an X period of time that I need to hold this items or could i recycle them. I have the feeling the customers dont even remember them anymore but I dont want future headaches
Any feedback will be appreciated

AZ has nothing... but you're in CA, you should contact your lawyer about that one.

Possession being 9 points of the law is a thing, but how that breaks down is going to come down to your specific locality.

Definitely check your state laws - if I recall correctly , CA does have a fairly lengthy "hold onto" period.. in most other places, it's whatever your policy is. I'm sure your policy would be at issue with any locale if it were 2 days, for instance... however, in my case we have a policy of 90 days with no contact. If we've called you back and left a message or talked to you - and said "the computer is ready" - you have 90 days to get it picked up and paid for or at the very least let us know that you're still alive. If we get a hold of you, then we'll work with you - we've held stuff for up to 6-12 months before.

Kinda funny, but not funny story - Guy dropped his laptop off, got it fixed, called him and he was to pickup the next day. He never shows. I call him 4 or 5 times in the course of the 90 days... no answer. Leave messages. No answer.
Well, I held on to that laptop for a whole year - 12 months and a week go by.. Call him, phone is disconnected. So, I mark it for destruction and destroy the laptop - sledgehammer the drive. (It was a crappy HP or emachine or something like that)

Not 5 days later, the guy calls me, "Hey, I was wondering if I could pickup my computer. Sorry, I've been in jail for a year!"

So, I felt bad, but not bad.

Last edited:
At one point I fixed a sony laptop and this was a regular customer, who would just take like a week or 2 to pick up, but he would alwasy do. This time around 18 months went by and one day he walked in, asked if Carlos was in and was behaving as he had never been in my shop. As it turns out, the day he dropped off the laptop, he was the victim or a bad hit and run and was still not fully recovered and lost some of his memory.. his wife was tasked with showing him pictures, so memories would comeback to him and they came across of a picture of him using his laptop.. He still had his receipt so he "found me".. and he was happy I still had his laptops, as it was full of pictures, which would help him with recovery

Back