[WARNING] Amazon.ca StarTech Products - Not Eligible For Return

NviGate Systems

Reaction score
I recently ordered two StarTech.com products via Amazon, (Sold by Amazon.ca) and both were non returnable. Amazon did do an exception, since I am a Prime Member, but I had other products that were not StarTech and they also were sold by Amazon.ca and I "tested" if they could be returned, and they were marked as non returnable.

So be aware, especially if you are ordering a one off product, it more than likely will not be returnable. They offered me "tech support" but it was limited to "reboot computer, defrag, disable fast startup run virus scan" all in one sentence. In fact, in order to do anything return related, you had to call or chat with a rep, only third party sellers do you get an immediate, OK, return the product to us.

If you are a Prime Member, you might get an exception here and there, but don't count on it.

I'm kind of surprised. I would have thought that Canada would have had statutory requirements to provide return options. But maybe it's like many places down here. The return policy that you publicly tell the buyer is what's considered final in many places. So you can specify no returns as long as the buyer is aware.

I recently returned a thermal camera with a micro-USB connector, ordered in error. When I realized my error a day or so later, I ordered one with the correct connector (USB-C). I used the Chat feature to get approval for returning the first one. The responses from the attendan were delayed but the return was approved and the refund was promptly received. It was sold by Amazon.ca.

An order of a pack of hair combs from an independent seller was non-returnable, even though they sent the wrong bloody product! Been chasing the seller for a month.

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised. I would have thought that Canada would have had statutory requirements to provide return options. But maybe it's like many places down here. The return policy that you publicly tell the buyer is what's considered final in many places. So you can specify no returns as long as the buyer is aware.
It might vary by province, but what I have heard is that you have to provide some kind of warranty when selling something retail. So you need to do, returns, replacement, or repair if something is defective. Within 30 days or something. I'm pretty sure you don't have to accept returns for products that are working properly.

I've never had an issue over here in the UK. I've only needed to return 2 startech products, both i dealt with them directly after buying them from distributors and they even sent replacements out before they received the faulty back.
Non faulty items are not eligible for return, but thats our distributors rules and statutory B2C rules not applying.

It has been my experience that 8 out of 10 returns are to Amazon sellers and not Amazon itself. I am not sure why, but I have more trouble with sellers sending junk. Usually though everything is perfectly fine.

It has been my experience that 8 out of 10 returns are to Amazon sellers and not Amazon itself.

I've never had even 8 Amazon returns, but based on those that have been made in our household the pattern you describe has been substantially the same.

Amazon items, when fulfilled by Amazon, have never once been an issue to return. The only problem I had, and only once, was when I returned something, they acknowledged the item had been received, but didn't issue a refund and sent a follow-up message asking for the item to be returned before refund. It was easily resolved, but very weird.

Back