activate 8.1 over the internet?

pcpete

Reaction score
I have an older person who is trying to keep the computer the same as possible. It has a bad motherboard and is running 8.1. If it needs to reactivate can we do that within the OS directly from MS? I would think so, but was not sure. Do you think that would be in the $100 range?

It activates the same way as Windows 10 does. But if you are changing mobos you’ll lose the key that shipped with the previous machine.

Windows 8.1's activation servers are still live, but Windows 8.1's update engine is a mess. I wouldn't honestly touch it without upgrading it to Windows 10. Too much risk of return and too much time to support.

It's like trying to work on a machine with a platter drive, it's cheaper to sell them a drive with an hour of labor to install it and fix whatever ails them than it is to bill them for the hours required to fix the issue on the platter.

Also, see above because the tier ones ship the OEM key in the mainboard, so if you replace the board you need a new windows license. Sell a refurb!

We landed on buying an Compaq pro 6300 with an i5 and 8pro COA and putting in an ssd. We quoted the client $399 for the refurbished unit. Then $139 to clone over his windows 8.1 installation from his dead computer. Since it is home and our refurb is pro, we will have do turn pro on through the OS. I think we should be able to use the key included with the new refurb we got. If all goes well it will be a nice $400 profit and the client will have a solid computer as they want it

Back