3 weeks for updates to finish

pcpete

Reaction score
We have been updating all our Vista images for the clients who still want to use their old computer. The initial scan to get the first round of updates has been taking about 3 weeks. I am amazed at the consistency of this broken process for all of the different versions and architecture of them.

There are also a few rounds of updates that fix core WU Engine issues, early versions of this engine would have up to 50% failure rate when processing transactions, hence the long wait time. There is a site (don't think I have it bookmarked) that shows you for what SP Level and what updates apply to your Windows to be able to have a error free Update. You can also update the Windows Update Agent for Vista and 7 but not 8 and higher.

Images? Are you referring to the live machines or full disk images? At any rate I'd not expect the issues to be fixed. To be honest I'd tell them this is the result of using an OS that is 10 years old. Mainstream support ended in 2012 and extended this year. After the 2012 date the only thing that will be done, most likely, is security related. Nothing related to functionality like update problems.

There are a number of patches that rectify this issue. It will bring update times back down to around half an hour.

I'll post the list of 5 updates that you need in around 12 hours time when I'm back at my system.

The only painfully slow updates we see, are for Windows 7.
We had our clients bypass Vista...and by now any Vista rigs our clients had should be in a landfill along with XP computers...so I can't comment on how long Vista updates take anymore.
I don't see issues with Win10.

But for Windows 7 and slow updates we had a ton of threads on it around here, most of them I put the easy answer/fix in.

For your "tool kit"...download the following KB installers so you can quickly do Windows 7 rigs.
KB3020369
KB3172605

There are separate 32 bit versions also..same KB numbers...so you'll be downloading 4x files...2x of which are for 64 bit, and 2 for the one or two 32 bit Win7 rigs you might run across (since there aren't many 32 bit ones out there)

Stop the Windows update service...install the first one as Admin (right click..run as...)
Once it finishes...it will start the windows update service...so stop it again....
Install the second one (also right click..run as admin)...
Reboot

Now let it sniff for updates...and in very short time...like a matter of just a few minutes, it should get to a page where a ton of updates will be available for download/install (like 160 or 170 of 'em!)

Enjoy!

LOL :)
This is where we bring our carcasses...
Metal recycle plact, literally 1x exit up from our office on the highway, (about 9 minutes)
http://connecticutscrap.com/

But my figure of speech was intended as...a figure of speech, when saying bring 'em to the landfill. or...bring the old horse to the elmers glue factory. or take it out behind the barn and put a bullet in its head.

Another vote for WSUS offline- not sure if it still works for Vista though.

YeOldeStonecat, I call recycling computers "throw it in the ocean" so I'm probably a worse offender than you.

Is there really a need for these Vista machines? Seems like a waste. Push them to a refurbished Windows 7 machine or get them over to Windows 10.

Reactions: GTP
WINDOWS VISTA - UPDATES HANG FIX:

Install the following updates in this order:

1. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB3191203)
2. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB3205638)
3. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB4012583)
4. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB4015195)
5. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB4015380)
6. Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Vista (KB4014661).

This applies to x86 and x64 installs and is fully up to date at the time of Microsoft support ending on 11th April 2017.

That will then slash Windows Vista update times from hours / days to approximately 30-45 minutes.

Images? Are you referring to the live machines or full disk images? At any rate I'd not expect the issues to be fixed. To be honest I'd tell them this is the result of using an OS that is 10 years old. Mainstream support ended in 2012 and extended this year. After the 2012 date the only thing that will be done, most likely, is security related. Nothing related to functionality like update problems.

imagex images we use to do clean loads. Now our images are at least fully updated.

WINDOWS VISTA - UPDATES HANG FIX:

Install the following updates in this order:

1. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB3191203)
2. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB3205638)
3. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB4012583)
4. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB4015195)
5. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB4015380)
6. Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Vista (KB4014661).

This applies to x86 and x64 installs and is fully up to date at the time of Microsoft support ending on 11th April 2017.

That will then slash Windows Vista update times from hours / days to approximately 30-45 minutes.

thanks,I will try those. I did not think There were any patches for updating vista like there are for 7 and 8.

Back