3 different clients had modem replaced, can't see SSID

drnick5

Reaction score
Hey all,

Over the past few weeks, I've now had 3 different clients who have called saying they can't connect to their wifi network. it's not showing up at all in the list. In all 3 cases, the ISP replaced their older modem/router combo with a new one.

In the first two cases, it was on older computers that likely had really old wifi adapters, but one happened today is on a newer acer swift laptop that has a dual band wireless card.

Have any of you guys run into this problem recently? It seems like something with the modem they are using, but in my case, its happened now with 2 different ISP's (Comcast and Cox)

Now, I always recommend using a separate modem and router (for various reason, but this is yet another example) but in some cases the client still needs the modem for phone so its not an option.

Just curious if any of you have run across this

Make certain that the modem-router is actually set to broadcast its SSID. It would not shock me, one bit, were this the latest "security improvement" to make the default to NOT broadcast the SSID so that you have to know both that and the WiFi password on the devices you wish to connect to it.

Back