Windows update issues re: partition size

BO Terry

Reaction score
I had a call yesterday regarding W10 being unable to update to 20H2. the machine is a Windows 10 home running 1909.
The message they have seen references the system reserve space being full. I have not seen the full message myself. He also noted two error codes. 0xc1900104 and 0x800f0922.

I did a quick remote session with them and found what is shown below. They had attempted some fix they found online (supposedly Microsoft fix??). He says that when he had looked in there earlier, he only saw Disk 0 partition 1 (is this the System Reserved partition?), and that the other Disk 0 instances were not there. I had planned to run cleanup on the System Reserved partition but all menu options greyed out. I would just jump ahead and use a resize tool like Aomei or MiniTool but wasn't sure what issues these extra partitions may create in the future.

*Edit, the user said that the computer was originally Windows 8 and was upgraded to W10 some time ago.

No photo description available.

3 Answers

Comment

Last edited:
Seen this one a few times usually on machines that have been in-place upgraded from Win 7 at some point.

Clearing old font files out of the system reserved partition does the trick.

I'd look into the history of the machine. I've heard of that error as well but don't remember the specifics. If it was a W7 upgraded then all those other partitions are useless. But you don't want to just be whacking things without understanding the relationships. Most major OEM installs have a lot of extra partitions, generic W10 should just have 3 if I remember correctly.

Back