Windows Update Error Code 424 - Anyone seen this before?

ClickRight

Reaction score
before you ask, I have googled this :D

I have a client's Toshiba laptop that was infected with FBI variant, Advanced System Protector and a couple toolbars, nothing major. Virus is cleaned and I scanned for rootkits, all clean. No anti-virus installed.

So I go to to run windows Update, but--Windows updates are not installing. I am getting an error code 424 :eek:

Have tried the usual -- deleting SoftwareDistribution, running Windows Update repair from d7, etc. Still 424.

Running SFC now, then I'll repair registry permissions if that doesn't work.

Has anybody encountered this beast before?

Attachments

• WindowsUpdateerror424.png
    WindowsUpdateerror424.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 58
I've never seen a M$ Update throw a 3 digit error code. They have always been a hex code starting with 0x. Are there any restore points you can go back to?

Thanks for the input. I thought it was bizarre as well.

SFC threw an error and going to check CBS.log I had to change the permissions. Go to Security tab and click edit: New error

Can't open access control editor. Invalid value for registry.

Hmm. Ok. A little googling pulled up this forum post and I checked the registry to find the same problems mentioned by Markus, "IT-Marky,"

I pulled the registry keys from a working machine and created a reg and imported and the error went away :)

As a bonus, I'm wow installing Windows 7 SP1 and so far, so good :D

Update: SP1 installed and all further updates and SFC scans without error. This job is DONE!

Last edited:
Runtime error 424 occurs when the Operating System start to run an application but unable to load the program. When unable to perform operation for certain reason it sends error report on the System screen. Runtime error 424 occurs due to Data Access Object files is not found inside the System memory.

I probably sound like a broken record sometimes, but run the tweaking.com all in one repair. The ones I've had that acted like that after cleanups or cloning a failing drive to a new drive, usually fixes those errors for me.

Back