Windows is breaking down

I've been having weird problems with my brand new Windows XP install and Athlon 64 X2. After running for an extended period of time, it will start exhibiting odd behaviors like not being able to run new programs and visual oddities like the GUI not displaying properly and weird fonts. Usually, it breaks down to the point where it is impossible to use and I have to restart. Some messages I get when I try to run new programs or when currently running programs break are:

Error: Floating Point Division be zero
The instruction "0x004e7679" referenced memory at "0x017456f5". The memory could not be "read".
Not enough quota is available to process this command.
The exception unknown software execution (0x05d007a?) occurred in the application at location 0x7c812a5e?

There are also times where it confuses DLL files which aren't part of the Windows core as a Windows image or something like that.

I believe that the problem started when I was running Disk Defragmenter and AVG was auto scanning the same drive I was defragmenting which caused every program that was running to freeze including the Windows shell and the Task Manager. As I recall, my dad told me that abruptly shutting off the defragmenter can cause problems. I don't know where exactly he got that from but he is a computer programmer and I do trust his judgment when it comes to software. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was the root of the problem since the weird stuff happened shortly afterwards.

Does anyone have experience with this? What are my options other than to reinstall Windows? I already activated Windows which was probably a mistake considering what happened.

How long?

I've got a machine I regularly run for about a month at a time between reboots. I close down Firefox and Thunderbird nightly, or the machine crawls the next morning until I restart them. It is possible that there is a driver or another program that is running which has a memory leak or another type of problem.

It could be a heat issue. This http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
Should show your temperatures. Run the program, click on the computer, then sensor part. If your temperatures are good, I would agree that it could be a driver issue. Just for fun, take the side panel off the case and visually maker sure all the fans are spinning.

E

The computer a family gave me which i am using now was running with some similar errors to what you are speaking of, i thought it was a motherboard issue but then decided to give MemTest86 a try to see if it was ram related, it turns out it was as i put 1 stick in at a time and found errors all over i removed it and so far so good no errors or anything, it was also keeping me from reinstalling windows as it would skip some files for the installation in which needed to be copied.... anyway i suggest you give MemTest86 if you have a blank disc or UBCD4WIN around or even a live cd of ubuntu linux as it comes with memtest86

Back