[SOLVED] Windows 7 Booting Issues

Chandler

Reaction score
I have a computer a customer brought in with Windows 7 Pro installed. It does have a refurb COA tag also. Anyway when you start it the splash screen appears and then it goes to a black screen and wont boot. I don't have any recovery media and this is a business computer. I created a bootable disk from an Win 7 Pro ISO I had downloaded somewhere but when I press "Repair My Computer" It displays "This version of system recovery options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair" Try using a recovery disk that is compatible with this version of windows." I've never come across this issue Before. I heard it could be a UEFI Issue bus i'm not sure. Need help please. The laptop is an Lenovo ThinkPad X220 Tablet. It also has an SSD but I'm not sure if it factors into this issue

F8 menu?

A trick I learnt here was to pull the power plug during the splash screen. Do this a couple of times and the startup recovery menu may/should appear. This should give you access to it's recovery options.

There is no F8 menu I can get to. I will try the power plug thing.

How do you know it has Pro installed? Is the refurb tag for Pro? Try what @glennd said. Have you imaged the drive to protect the data?

The error you have is typical when the installed version is not compatible with the image you are trying to use for recovery. Such as OEM vs retail, etc. If I had time I'd try calling Lenovo and ordering a recovery disk set if it was Pro. Since you are not reselling that would be legit.

How do you know it has Pro installed? Is the refurb tag for Pro? Try what @glennd said. Have you imaged the drive to protect the data?

The error you have is typical when the installed version is not compatible with the image you are trying to use for recovery. Such as OEM vs retail, etc. If I had time I'd try calling Lenovo and ordering a recovery disk set if it was Pro. Since you are not reselling that would be legit.
The old COA tag is under the battery and has a tag across it that says DO NOT USE. The new tag is just on the bottom of the computer and says "Windows 7 Pro for Refurb PCs".

It might be the version of recovery disk you are using. I’ve come across it in the past when trying to run a recovery on a 32 bit operating system with a 64 bit recovery disk. It didn’t want to play ball. It needed a 32 bit recovery disk for 32 bit operating system and a 64 bit for a 64 bit operating system

It might be the version of recovery disk you are using. I’ve come across it in the past when trying to run a recovery on a 32 bit operating system with a 64 bit recovery disk. It didn’t want to play ball. It needed a 32 bit recovery disk for 32 bit operating system and a 64 bit for a 64 bit operating system

Bingo, this could also be an issue as well.

You mentioned creating a "bootable disk from a Win7 Pro ISO", but have you tried creating/using a system repair disk instead of the bootable disk created from the installation ISO/Installation media? (Ref: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html)

Also, you can't do a repair my computer from a system repair disk...but you can drop to a command line and enter one of the following to force a boot to safe mode:

With Command Prompt open, execute the correct bcdedit command as shown below based on which Safe Mode option you'd like to start:

Safe Mode:
bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal

Safe Mode with Networking:
bcdedit /set {default} safeboot network

Safe Mode with Command Prompt:
bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal
bcdedit /set {default} safebootalternateshell yes

You mentioned creating a "bootable disk from a Win7 Pro ISO", but have you tried creating/using a system repair disk instead of the bootable disk created from the installation ISO/Installation media? (Ref: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html)

Also, you can't do a repair my computer from a system repair disk...but you can drop to a command line and enter one of the following to force a boot to safe mode:

I have not tried a system repair disk will try that next. Thanks for the safe mode command. Right now I'm ruling out viruses. I have Hiren's boot CD on a USB Booted and have mini XP running. I've run Malwarebytes and a couple of others but still nothing. I'm running Vipre Rescue Scanner right now. Since I'm in a Windows environment right now running from the flash are there any things I could do to fix the Issue of not booting correctly?

It's not recommended to run MBAM outside of Windows because it could break some things.

What I would do:
Scan for a root kit with TDSS.
Use a Windows 7 install media to attempt a restore point.
Rebuild the MBR and BCD

Personally, I wouldn't do much until you got into Safe Mode...

Do a Google search for "black screen of death windows 7" - http://bfy.tw/2V0x

There are some suggestions on this page as well: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...oting-up/93a2c6e2-9418-4f45-b217-2a152fcce665 (which happens to be the third link from the Google search)

EDIT: Typos
How do I make a repair disk When the system isn't running? The only system I have Running Win 7 is Win 7 Ultimate 32-Bit The laptop is running Win 7 Pro and I'm not sure what bit.

I would of pulled the drive and imaged it or at least pull data with Fab,s first.

I'm going to do that tomorrow but I only didn't because she said the company just started using these a few weeks ago and there really isn't anything to lose. Computer repair really isn'y my main thing. I'm a full time phone and tablet repair technician I just take on odd jobs on computers when thing are slow.

Back