Windows 11 gets a new desktop watermark on unsupported hardware

From The Verge (primary sources cited in article):

Windows 11 gets a new desktop watermark on unsupported hardware

If this isn't considered a big red flag that MS is serious about not updating unsupported hardware, then nothing could be.
If they they were serious they wouldn’t allow the workarounds to begin with. It simply would not install. Apple does that all the time. Older Macs have a cutoff date and only by truly hacking the setup process can you bypass it. And it’s certainly not published by Apple in a KB.

It's just scare tactic marketing. They hope that the kind of person who will do the unsupported upgrade is going to jump to newer hardware in order to keep running Windows 11.

And, to me, doing an unsupported upgrade is just plain stupid. So there we are.

There really are times when "hard splits" occur, and this is one of them as far as I'm concerned.

As a general practice, and best practice, you follow the recommendations for hardware of the OS maker for the OS you have elected to use. You usually go above their minimum recommendations, too.

And yet it is obvious that Microsoft intends to support this hardware, else why let it install. This is no different than the Win 10 free upgrade that they claim they will not support yet they do. M$ would rather give away Win 11 than have people use true hacks that might have backdoors in them.

And yet it is obvious that Microsoft intends to support this hardware, else why let it install.

It's not at all obvious to me, and I'll leave it at that. Microsoft has, at certain points, and particularly during "experimental periods," allowed certain things that were terminated later on.

If I really believed that Windows 11 would continue to be supported on any hardware you can install it on at the moment, for as long as Windows 11 exists, I'd be telling my clients they should update and be updating my own machines, too. But I don't believe it will, as Microsoft has made it difficult (clean install only) even to get it on to unsupported hardware. There are all sorts of oddities about what has been permitted during this transition period that is unlike anything that's come before it.

Better safe than sorry.

Other than the one system I run it on I have no intention of doing it and certainly not providing it to clients. This is aimed at cheap DIY users who can climb out of the hole should it really collapse. And I'll lay good money on a bet that it's not going to go away.

Back