Windows 10 setup could not configure to run on this computer's hardware

JoeTech

Reaction score
I'm trying to reinstall windows 10 on a desktop pc and I keep getting this error. --"Windows 10 setup could not configure to run on this computer's hardware"

I have tried the tips on google where you hit shift and f10 and go to cmd prompt and go to oobe and then msoobe. That hasn't worked.

The hardware I am using is a

Asus H110M-C motherboard with latest 4212 bios version
Kingston 16gb ddr4 2133mhz RAM
Samsung 850 evo 500GB ssd.
Intel I5-7400 CPU

I have also tried a new Asus motherboard and using an 8gb ddr4 stick of ram, a regular seagate sata 500gb hd and new power supply. The only things I have replaced is the case and CPU.

The other thing I noticed is that I can't boot into any of my portable linux usb drives without getting a kernel panic. I don't know what else to try at this point and wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to fix this. Thanks

Have you tried completely different ram? Your specs say 16GB and you said you tried 8GB so I don't know if that means you have 2x8GB and you took one out or if you have a 16GB DIMM.

Different processor?

Different install media?

Ensure you have the latest BIOS updates
Ensure CPU is not overclocked.
Ensure you have the latest SSD drivers.
Change drive settings in BIOS from AHCI or RAID, ATA, or IDE. ATA is the most reasonable option for the process of installing new updates or upgrading. Navigate to the Exit section and choose to Exit Saving Changes. This will proceed with the boot. Make sure you try to run the update again.

Have you tried completely different ram? Your specs say 16GB and you said you tried 8GB so I don't know if that means you have 2x8GB and you took one out or if you have a 16GB DIMM.

Different processor?

Different install media?

It came with 1 16GB stick of ram and I tried a new 16GB stick of ram. I also tried 1 8GB stick of RAM. I also created new install media with different usb drives and that didn't work. Only thing I haven't test is a different processor because I don't have another compatible one here. I ran pc check software on everything and it passed.

I am wondering if it is the CPU since it won't even boot into portable linux usb drives though.

Last edited:
Ensure you have the latest BIOS updates
Ensure CPU is not overclocked.
Ensure you have the latest SSD drivers.
Change drive settings in BIOS from AHCI or RAID, ATA, or IDE. ATA is the most reasonable option for the process of installing new updates or upgrading. Navigate to the Exit section and choose to Exit Saving Changes. This will proceed with the boot. Make sure you try to run the update again.

The CPU is not overclocked. I have the latest bios updates and tried in both UEFI and CSM modes. I reset to default settings too and still nothing. I haven't checked the ssd drivers yet I will look into that. I just can't get it to work with a regular sata non ssd drive either.

Edit I also found out this motherboard only supports ACHI and not raid. so ACHI is the only option.

Last edited:
Is the CPU properly identified in in the BIOS setup as an i5-7400, etc..? (I'd assume so since it clearly posts, but, just curious...)

Secure boot disabled?

Two possibilities:

1. Your SATA controller is shot. Time for a new board or a separate PCI SATA controller. If you end up using a PCI controller, don't forget to disable the on-board ports in the BIOS.

2. You need to use a custom SATA driver while installing Windows. Extract the raw driver using 7zip and either slipstream it into the ISO or use it during install. Alternatively, you can try switching the SATA ports to a more compatible mode (AHCI is more compatible than RAID and ATA is more compatible than ACHI).

My money is on #1. It's rare that you have to use a custom SATA driver with Windows 10. The only exceptions I can think of is I recently had a $4,000 Razer Blade laptop in that needed a PCI-e controller driver in order to install in RAID configuration using NVMe SSD's. Not technically SATA, but it's a storage controller nonetheless. Windows wouldn't even identify the drive in RAID mode. When I switched to AHCI I got the same message you got. I just threw the driver onto a flash drive and pointed to it during setup and everything went fine.

Two possibilities:

1. Your SATA controller is shot. Time for a new board or a separate PCI SATA controller. If you end up using a PCI controller, don't forget to disable the on-board ports in the BIOS.

My money is on #1.

You missed the part where OP reported they tried another motherboard without luck.

Yes I did try an Asus h110m-e motherboard that is similiar to the Asus h110m-c and had the same problems. I unplugged the audio and front usb cables from the motherboard and I was able to get it to install and boot to the desktop but then immediately got a memory management bsod and it restarted. Once I got back to desktop it looked pixelated and anything I tried to download said it was corrupted.

The only parts I haven't swapped out at this point are the case and the CPU. I don't know if trying to install windows 10 by CD instead of USB would make any difference.

Thanks everyone for your help so far it's just frustrating the crap out of me right now. It's a business pc but not a critical one so I have a little time. I'm guess they might end up needing to buy a new pc if I can't figure it out soon though.

Sometimes you can have a weird issue with a case. I doubt it in this case (whoops is that a pun?), but you should always try running the board bare on your bench. Just board, cpu, memory, and power supply. Then try USB booting something. You start as bare as you can and work your way up until you hit something that messes it up.

I'm really leaning towards CPU since you've tried different motherboards and memory. Keep in mind the CPU of course has the graphics built in, as well as the memory controller.

All you need to check is any 6th or 7th gen processor. Even the lowest Celeron would do.
https://www.newegg.com/intel-celeron-g3900/p/N82E16819117620?Item=N82E16819117620

That's why it's a good idea to have some parts on hand for testing.You don't need an i7 of every generation. Just grab a Celeron or Pentium or whatever you can salvage from a dead/abandoned/etc system.

All you need to check is any 6th or 7th gen processor. Even the lowest Celeron would do.

Keeping some older processors around for this purpose has saved my bacon more than once. We use Ryzens a fair amount and in the last desktop we built, the motherboard "supported" it, but it wouldn't even boot until we put in an old Athlon, then updated the BIOS. Then remounted the 3rd gen Ryzen and we were good. Obnoxious, but it's not altogether unreasonable.

@HCHTech, oh yes it is... there are ways for boards to update even with incompatible CPUs / NO CPU at all, and it's about time every mobo that had that potential had that feature. Especially for the amount of money charged for a competent Ryzen board.

Did it run on this machine before? What prompted the reinstall?

It was running fine on this machine before last week and then they said that none of their programs would open up and they were getting a lot of errors. Hardware passed all our diagnostic tests so I thought it just needed to be reloaded.

What diagnostics did you run?

Have you tried the board bare on the bench with just CPU and RAM and try to boot a linux USB to see if it still panics?

What diagnostics did you run?

Have you tried the board bare on the bench with just CPU and RAM and try to boot a linux USB to see if it still panics?

We pay for Eurosoft PC check software for diagnostic tests. I tried it with a bare board and just cpu and ram and it still panics when trying to run linux from a usb.

update - I got the new CPU installed and I am able to boot into linux from USB drives and windows 10 installed without any problems. I'm so glad that is over with now and don't have to deal with it anymore.

Back