Windows 10 s mode removal without msft account??

ell

Reaction score
Have this brand new hp with s mode crap, cannot remove it without logging into msft, anybody found a fix? In place Upgrade from desktop work?

well I already started a in place upgrade, its said it was installing win 10 home, guess we'll see :rolleyes:
Unless you have a retail copy and you used a universal iso your wasting your time. The key in the bios is S (what else could it be) so S is what gets installed.

Reactions: GTP
Yup, made a act then dumped it, stupid msft just keeps making things complicated

These days, even if the only Microsoft Account you have is for the purpose of doing things like this, you still need to have one.

Once the changeover to Home/Pro has been completed, it's a simple matter to create a local account with admin privileges, then nuke whatever MS-Account linked account had been present to accomplish the changeover.

There's no need to use a Microsoft Account login to remove S mode. You just specify the account in the app store.
Also there's no need to create a new local profile to disconnect a Microsoft Account.

Also there's no need to create a new local profile to disconnect a Microsoft Account.

Indeed, but there is if you want your folder structure to not have "the ghost of another account." You can also go from a local account to a MS-Account linked account without creating a new account (profile). That's what I did on this computer, but it's still very weird to see my home directory be C:\Users\Erase (and Erase was the original local account name, and that's what I'd intended to do after creating a new MS Account Linked account).

I generally like things tidier than they are if you "convert" a local to MS-Account linked or vice versa.

That's the other benefit of creating a local account during the setup stage, you get to choose your profile folder name!

Back