[SOLVED] Windows 10 homegroup access denied contact administrator

mazey

Reaction score
Hello all. I have just had a frustrating time after creating a Windows 10 'homegroup' in accessing & editing documents from the remote computer, which I have SOLVED.
The HomeGroup setup fine. One computer could access the other and view and edit files. When tried the otherway round I could get into the shared folders, but opening the files reported 'Access Denied. Contact the adminstrator' or were 'Read only'. I read about lots of complicated resolutions about inheriting stuff and administrator permissions, (which didn't work) but the answer was EXTREMELY SIMPLE in my case.
I write this because this answer is not easily found elsewhere.

Simply go to the computer that is sharing the folder you want to access. Right click the shared folder, and click on 'Share with'. Select 'HomeGroup (view and edit).

This worked for me.

Further to this, there are other attributes to check. Right click the shared folder:-
Go to Properties -> General, and clear the read only box -> OK
Click on the 'sharing' tab, check that your HomeGroup is read/write.
Whilst on the 'sharing' tab -> Advanced Sharing (button) -> Permissions ->(check your group is set to your requirements (ie 'Everyone'), and Tick the boxes: Full Control, Change, and Read.

Finally on the workstation, go to 'Network' (in file explorer or my computer), click on the server, and select the 'Shared' folder. If you click on other networked folder paths such as 'Documents', this will be read only.

Last edited:
Back