[BUG] Windows 10 Anniversary issue with external hard drives

activeits

Reaction score
It is very annoying it has been one week since Windows 10 Anniversary Update has been released and there is still the major issue with it not recognising USB Hard Drives. I was hoping the Tuesday updates would fix the issues, but still an issue.

You would hope Microsoft would be working around the clock to fix what is a wide spread issue. http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-ha...te-problems-not-recognizing-external-hdd.html

If you put the hard drive back into 1511 Windows, it works no issues.

Last edited:
Just a quick update, it seems to be an issue with Windows Anniversary and USB hard drives bigger then 500GB. I can replicate it on an Acer, HP and Dell all with Anniversary and they work fine with two 250Gb and one 300Gb.

I seem to remember Windows 8 had a similar issue when it first came out. I will have a look when I get back in

I always wonder when these "bugs" turn up if these computers have ever had a clean install of 10 on them or are have they gone from 7/8 to 10 10240 then 10586 and now to the AU 1607.

This is quite alarming since I use my 1 TB WD My Passport Ultra frequently.

So here is some background on my main work computer. It's a Dell Latitude E6440 with i5/16 GB RAM. Windows 10 Enterprise X64. I had done a clean install of 10586 ENT from MAPS download, which I ran for about a month then did a manual upgrade to 1607 from MAPS download yesterday. I am happy to report that my 1 TB USB 3.0 drive works perfectly fine.

I always wonder when these "bugs" turn up if these computers have ever had a clean install of 10 on them or are have they gone from 7/8 to 10 10240 then 10586 and now to the AU 1607.

2 of the computers were a clean install from the ISO, one was an upgrade. All can replicate the issue. And there are lots of reports of other users having the same issue.

This is quite alarming since I use my 1 TB WD My Passport Ultra frequently.

So here is some background on my main work computer. It's a Dell Latitude E6440 with i5/16 GB RAM. Windows 10 Enterprise X64. I had done a clean install of 10586 ENT from MAPS download, which I ran for about a month then did a manual upgrade to 1607 from MAPS download yesterday. I am happy to report that my 1 TB USB 3.0 drive works perfectly fine.

Looks like it is not affected everyone, but seems like it is a common issue https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=W...ate+problem,+not+recognizing+external+hdd+raw http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-ha...te-problems-not-recognizing-external-hdd.html

I don't have this issue at the shop, we've been running the Anniversary preview build (14393) for quite some time now. We are regularly plugging in our 1TB USB3.0 HDDs to backup customer data. USB actually works flawlessly for us.

But you know what doesn't and never has worked flawlessly? Hot plugging SATA drives. It's been an issue since Win 7. After you plug in a SATA, it's not recognized until you go to Device Manager, right-click Scan for Hardware Changes. Then it shows up. This might be by design but still annoys me. I have the Computer Management console pinned to the taskbar for this reason, to make it as quick as possible to scan for HW Changes.

In Windows 8, hot plugging SATA was worse, 25% of the time, we'd get a bluescreen. So at least we're making steps towards the right direction? ;)

Hence why I neuter all Windows 10 machines so they can't do updates. Giving us no control over updates is insane. I'll update when I choose to update, thank you very much! I'll do the anniversary update in a week or two once everyone else's computers have been totally borked by this unrefined, buggy update.

If I get a minute tomorrow I'm going to plug in my 2TB drive and see what happens with this new Win 10 machine I got.

What chipset? Windows drivers or manufacturer?
Intel and Windows, exactly the same setup as 1511

Last night, I did a clean install from ISO (1511 and Anniversary Update), on old HP Tower (Intel Chipset and Windows Drivers, as HP do not go above 7 Drivers for that model). Everything works on both versions, apart from some USB External Drives on AU

As I know it is not just my setups, see links above, just going to wait and see if Microsoft fix it.

Thanks

Been stable for me, but the new start menu and the UAC prompts look stupid to me.
Believe it or not, those received positive feedback in the Preview Channel. Everyone loved those. I don't care much about the Start Menu change, but the UAC prompt is a bit large, it should be shrunk down. I've been running the preview channel and the beta anniversary build for a while now.

Believe it or not, those received positive feedback in the Preview Channel. Everyone loved those. I don't care much about the Start Menu change, but the UAC prompt is a bit large, it should be shrunk down. I've been running the preview channel and the beta anniversary build for a while now.

Not to shoot you down or anything... but somehow they gathered the Windows 8 "Start Menu" was a good idea, too.

No problems here. I plugged in a 2TB Seagate and it was recognized immediately. Performing a backup now. No issues.

I've come across this problem twice so far...along with other weird anomalies and in both of those cases, I ran dism.exe which failed with an error (0x800f810f if I remember right). To fix this I used the Win10 media creation tool to download an ISO and once downloaded, mounted it and run it from within windows, (saving all user files)...basically a refresh. Once I booted back up, I ran dism again without issue and no problems with drives/menus etc. Shame that one has to go to these lengths but the refresh takes about 15 mins and I know I've spent a lot more time than that looking for answers to weird issues that appear in windo's 10.

Back