Win 7 activation error code 0xc004E003

TechLady

Reaction score
So this is new...on two different systems I reformatted it will now not accept the key as saved by Belarc. I get an activation error code 0xc004E003. I am pretty darn sure these are not pirated keys. (Well, at least one of them I'm real sure it isn't).

I used a universal 7 slipstreamed disc I just made the other day. I can't imagine that's what's doing this, but it's the only thing different I can think of, because I'm running short on time this week and didn't have two days for these systems to install all the updates after SP1.

There also seems to be some disagreement here on TN whether you can use universal install Windows 7 ISOs for OEM (though neither system had Win 7 installed as OEM--one had XP and the other Vista). Can anybody clear that up? I'd be interested to know the real answer for that as well.

I may be confused. Is this a retail copy or OEM? If it is an upgrade from real old systems, Vista and Xp, how possible is it that it is pirated?

There also seems to be some disagreement here on TN whether you can use universal install Windows 7 ISOs for OEM (though neither system had Win 7 installed as OEM--one had XP and the other Vista). Can anybody clear that up? I'd be interested to know the real answer for that as well.
There is NO difference in a retail vs an OEM disk except the ei.cfg file. If you remove it then you can install anything. Sounds like piracy to me or you botched your slipstream disk. Yay.

I looked and yeah they're both OEM. Dammit. I also tried a non-slipstreamed disc last night and same results.

One the one machine, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be pirated. On the other....well, ha ha, who knows.

The only way to do this since both computers are to old to have a SLIC table in the bios for Win 7 is to BUY win 7.

I'm not convinced that the codes are invalid. Her slipstreamed disk maybe borked. a proper installation with regular media may work.

See above; I tried that. No dice Sigh.

There's no stickers on the bottom of either of these machines, obviously.

Is there a sticker under the battery?
From her reports the machines are both upgrades from previous versions of Windows. Doesn't mean that someone didn't put a legitimate OEM version on it from Newegg or something. That would technically be a license violation but very possible to do. But if the keys don't work then it must be a crack.

Have you actually tried to CALL in the activation? Sometimes you have to do it manually on the phone.

Heck, when I did clean reinstalls on a couple of Lenovo ThinkPads using the key on the sticker I had to do a phone activation. One was mine when I went to SSD (clean install instead of clone from HD) and the other is also mine (an older system going from 32-bit to 64-bit, activating, then Win10 upgrade before you could just put the key in). But, if these don't have the sticker on them, that's going to be a problem.

For example I just ran the dell ultimate key.

Windows Product Key Information

Original Key: 342DG-6YJR8-X92GV-V7DCV-P4K27

Original Edition: Windows 7 Ultimate OEM:SLP

That is a factory slp key and will never activate even with a call to
MS

Have you actually tried to CALL in the activation? Sometimes you have to do it manually on the phone.

Yeah, I suspect it was a legit OEM from Newegg or some such thing (saw no evidence of cracks) and no, you are never given the option to activate over the phone, or I would have done that. I can show you the screen you get if you like, but I swear to you it just doesn't give you that option. Your only other option in the box is to try a different key.

I'm assuming the showkey results are useless since both have already been clean refomatted and all I have is the Fab's data. (Looks like I'll be running that tool first from now on, though).

This is from a refurb COA

Windows Product Key Information

Original Key: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-YW6KH

Original Edition: Windows 7 Professional OEM:NONSLP

Back