Win 10 OS keeps becoming corrupt

taysr

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got a bit of an odd one here, have a client that is consistently running into a corrupt OS.

Long story short, the building gets a lot of power outages.
Experienced a power outage and windows failed to boot.
He replaced NVME M2 drive, ram and gpu
Experienced another power outage with the new drive and windows failed to boot
I Installed a UPS and configured so it gracefully shutsdown
Tested the drive with HD Tune and other drive scanners, all came back fine, although are theses tests enough to rule out the drive completely?
Run all types of hardware tests and stress tests, the system passes with flying colours
Appears to be absolutely ZERO issues within the OS
Windows ran for about 2-3 weeks and now fails to boot again
It fails the automatic repair and produces a srt trail file. The results state:

A recently service boot binary is corrupt.

Repair Action: Abort pending update installations
Result: Failed. Error code = 0x3712
Time Taken = 11109 ms

At this stage he wants to replace the Motherboard and GPU (he has money to burn), I told him there's a high chance this wont fix the issue but he wants to anyway so no skin off my nose.

Would you go about replacing the NVME drive again even though it passes all tests? Or could it be a windows update that is causing this?

It's a Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Did you do a fresh install of Windows?

Checked firmware for the board? Firmware update for Samsung NVME?

It could be a bad board, what specs and model is it? Sometimes they issue firmware fix for just these rare issues.

Yes Windows has been reinstalled about 4 times all up and each time it becomes corrupt after a couple of weeks. The samsung nvme m2 980s don't have firmware updates available from what I could see.

And have updated all possible firmware/bios for the motherboard which is an Asus Prime Z490-A

I guess when the new motherboard arrives I'll replace it and see if that fixes the issue.

Seems other users are having issues with 980 Series, perhaps try another version of the Samsung SSD?

It would help to know the make and model of PC. This sounds like a DIY whitebox. I don’t see the power su mentioned. Dirty power from a bad or under wattage psu can be the cause of all this.

I don't think the GPU needs to be replaced as it would seem irrelevant to the problem right now.

Looks like the NVMe itself and/or the motherboard are the most likely sources of the problem at this point.

Ended up replacing the motherboard along with a new cpu (motherboard replaced to try and fix issue, cpu replaced because he likes shiny new things).

So far it's been ok, but I think it's too early to tell just yet.

Back