Video: Zalman VE300 basics

Krynn72

Reaction score
A few people recently posted some questions about this nifty device. I figured I'd have a go at making an overview video on some of the basic functions of it. For those of you who don't yet have it, this is what you're missing out on :)

Basic tips:
Use an SSD instead of HDD. This solved a lot of problems with certain computers not seeing the virtual disk drive. If you need to use an HDD, use a micro USB3 cable that has two normal USB ends so you can get extra power from the computer. The SSDs use less power, and function better because of it.

Use the backup button to save a certain image file as the default image file when you load it into the disk drive mode.

If you have trouble with dual mode, use just ODD mode or HDD mode. I had a lot of trouble with it, and dont even bother with dual mode at all anymore.

It can boot EFI images no problem, so you can boot windows 8 images without changing the UEFI settings, and can boot Parted Magic on Macs to do quick HDD testing, and install OSX. This is a huge advantage over multi-boot flash drives that usually use GRUB loaders.

Last edited:
So an SSD is the way to go with this? I may drag this thing out of my junk drawer and give it another try if that's the case.

Even after following Timster's/other youtube/website tutorials, I've only ever experienced about a 40% sucess rate with mine. I guess I work on a lot of the uncooperative Dells...:rolleyes:

Great video :)

I always use the backup button when removing the Zalman from any PC. It never sank in that when I switched it back on, it came up with the last ISO....
homer-doh.jpg

Andy

Did you try the suggestions in your other thread?
Yeah, still wouldn't work on the one older Dell laptop, no matter what I tried.
The other one I had to give back before I could test it.
I'm now using a Y power cord and no issues yet, but I haven't got any older dells in.
If things slow down, I might try it on some older dells I have for "parts".
All in all, well worth the money, as you can put your other tools on it also.

A few people recently posted some questions about this nifty device. I figured I'd have a go at making an overview video on some of the basic functions of it. For those of you who don't yet have it, this is what you're missing out on :)

Basic tips:
Use an SSD instead of HDD. This solved a lot of problems with certain computers not seeing the virtual disk drive. If you need to use an HDD, use a micro USB3 cable that has two normal USB ends so you can get extra power from the computer. The SSDs use less power, and function better because of it.

Use the backup button to save a certain image file as the default image file when you load it into the disk drive mode.

If you have trouble with dual mode, use just ODD mode or HDD mode. I had a lot of trouble with it, and dont even bother with dual mode at all anymore.

It can boot EFI images no problem, so you can boot windows 8 images without changing the UEFI settings, and can boot Parted Magic on Macs to do quick HDD testing, and install OSX. This is a huge advantage over multi-boot flash drives that usually use GRUB loaders.

Thanks for the tips and video. I'm in the process of putting together a sort of Zalman all in one tool (Windows ISO's, various diagnostic and troubleshooting tools). I'm just trying to decide on what storage capacity my SSD needs to be. Any input is appreciated?

I'm just trying to decide on what storage capacity my SSD needs to be. Any input is appreciated?

One step higher than you think. :) Back when I was beating my head against the wall trying to make these things a daily use tool, I put in a 64GB SSD, and immediately filled it up, of course. SSDs were more expensive then, and it didn't really solve the problem of computers not seeing the device to boot from. I see a lot of Dells, and they seem to be the worst ones. By the time I screwed around with the Zalman for 10 minutes trying to get the computer to see it, I could have booted to a CD 2 or three times.

I've got three of the things in my drawer, maybe I'll dig them out and give them another go...

Thanks for the tips and video. I'm in the process of putting together a sort of Zalman all in one tool (Windows ISO's, various diagnostic and troubleshooting tools). I'm just trying to decide on what storage capacity my SSD needs to be. Any input is appreciated?
I put in a refurb kingston 80gb ssd. I find im always deleting stuff off it to make room for something else.

Thanks. I'm finding limited information for the ve300 on the web. It's actually not even on Zalman's website right now although the 200, 350, and 400 models are. On one site it shows for the ve300 that the supported operating systems are through Windows 7. Can you tell me if support is indeed through Windows 8.1 and do you think we'll see a firmware update for Windows 10?

Last edited:
Can you tell me if support is indeed through Windows 8.1 and do you think we'll see a firmware update for Windows 10?

They have not done regular firmware updates as far as I know. Ok, so I just checked and there is a new firmware for the VE350 as of yesterday - that's what I get for whining. Of course, no description at all of what was changed/fixed in the new firmware.

It's like the 300 never existed if you look at their site. I've got one 200SE and 2 300's here.

But will the VE350 firmware work on the VE300? I actually think that the VE350 is new. I only see it on one site and it's to pre-order. I'm trying to decide whether to buy the VE300 now or wait on the pre-order of VE350. I don't want to buy the VE300 if it is going to become obsolete (ie. doesn't currently support Windows 8/8.1 and no more firmware updates to support say Windows 10). The site the VE350 is for sale on says it is through Windows 8.1. Any help from someone out there is appreciated?

Last edited:
I never knew this existed so thanks for the video! We have a handful of boot CDs we use and this thing would be awesome. The fact it has trouble with Dells though, isn't too comforting since most of our computers are Dell. Time to search the forum to find out what model to buy.

I loved my Zalman when I first got it (ZM-VE200 the USB2.0 version) ever since I setup my WDS booting all of my utilities and OS's I only really use it to back-up customers data now

I never knew this existed so thanks for the video! We have a handful of boot CDs we use and this thing would be awesome. The fact it has trouble with Dells though, isn't too comforting since most of our computers are Dell. Time to search the forum to find out what model to buy.

NJW provided the following tip in a different thread:
"The BIOS limitations are not the fault of Zalman. Machines that can't boot from the Zalman won't boot from any USB HDD or optical drive. In my experience, Toshibas are impossible and some Dells require that the internal optical drive is temporarily removed (easy enough and worthwhile for me)."

I've been researching which model to get for a few days (much on this forum) and it seems clear to me at this point to get the VE300. You can currently get them on both NewEgg and Amazon. Although there was limited availability out there for a 2.5 inch 9.5 mm SATA SSD to go with it (most members suggest an SSD over HDD to use with it); I found a PNY 120GB SSD on NewEgg for $70. You can use the filters on the left of the page to narrow down the selection. Zalman is introducing a VE350, but it is currently only available for pre-order through one site. There's also a VE400, but not nearly as popular with techs as the VE300. The VE300 has a bunch of pretty positive reviews at this point so I feel comfortable selecting it.

Last edited:
Back