USB port strange problem

comptec

Reaction score
A little while ago, I was called out to fix a USB connection problem. Until now I cannot find any solution that can be done quickly and easily.

I can't take the computer away, it has to be on-site only. (dont ask)

When I first arrive, they showed me that their kingston usb stick does not work on any of the USB ports. Luckily I had a usb stick of my own, and it too did not work.

Basically what happen is when the usb is plugged in, XP then detected it and started to do what ever it is doing, and since it's the first time my USB stick has been plugged into computer, it would say that it has detected it and installed the driver and say that it has completed with the installation of the hardware. An icon appear on the system tray which you can click on to safely remove the device. (you all getting the picture now?)

Well here is the problem, you go to 'My Computer' and the removable drive does not get listed like you would normally get when it does work. In Device Manager, nothing in there that indicate that the USB drive is plugged in.

I've tried both in Normal and Safe Mode, and it seems either motherboard problem, or Operating System Problem.

I've also tried to uninstall all the USB controller in Device Manager, and went into the Registry to remove all USB devices under Enum (at least all the safe one that can be removed anyway).

They said that the problem happen ever since they got the computer, it has never worked. So based on that, can I safely assume that it's hardware or dodgy Windows install to begin with? Other than that, the computer is in top condition, no known errors or problem beside the USB issue.

Not only can't I take it away, I cannot attemp to redo Operating System either. They really don't give me any easy option to go about finding the problem and to resolve it.

I wanted to test if it's hardware or software, by installing a new OS on it. I was willing to bring in my spare hdd, and take about an hour to try get it working from fresh install. Anyone else think it is a good idea to go about it that way? Pretty recent PC, wouldn't take long to install OS.

Any thoughts is appreciated.

Well, it sounds like you have done plenty of detective work on this.
Are there any mapped drives? There is a known bug in XP that If C: and D: are assigned to HD, and E: is a network folder, then the usb drive will not be assigned a letter. Is the OS XP SP2? or something lower?

Do any other USB devices work on the system such as printers/mice etc..?

If I was on this job I would probably try a USB PCI card and see if that works, you could spend forever trying to pinpoint these annoying little errors.

The OS is XP with SP2, and the usb mouse does work.

I'm not too sure about the drive letter assignment, but from memory it's just a single drive (C:). Though I'm not too sure if it has any mapped drive or not.

Thanks, i'll go double check with that. As far as taking a USB PCI Card with me, that I did not think about. I will definately try that to save both time and money.

Let you guys know later when I go out on Tuesday.

comptec said:
The OS is XP with SP2, and the usb mouse does work.

I'm not too sure about the drive letter assignment, but from memory it's just a single drive (C:). Though I'm not too sure if it has any mapped drive or not.

Thanks, i'll go double check with that. As far as taking a USB PCI Card with me, that I did not think about. I will definately try that to save both time and money.

Let you guys know later when I go out on Tuesday.

Home, Pro or Media Center?

Back