[TIP] Ultra Sonic Cleaners For Cleaner Parts

NviGate Systems

Reaction score
I just got my brand new Crest UltraSonic CP200T, which was about $700 CDN. It's a small unit as I couldn't afford a larger unit just yet. It's 6" x 5.25" x 4" inside the cleaning tank, and it came with a wire basket to put parts into.

I used it to clean a few bits and bobs around the shop and got some good results.

For those who have tried to clean those heatsinks inside desktops where the client is a smoker, you know that gooey tar substance that traps the dust, it's almost impossible to remove. Well, I remove the fans and put the heatsink in the UltraSonic. When it came out both myself and work experience were amazed, it looked brand new.

I often save old PSU's that have died due to bad caps. I use this to clean the flux and general grime after fixing them. It makes quite a difference.

I did try cleaning some fans that were ceased but it was mixed results. One of the three laptop fans came back to life once I replaced the lubricant. The one 60MM fan did sorta work but only in certain orientations. The issue I see with desktop fans is they are harder to take apart and it's possible when they cease it may in fact be a more serious problem that the UltraSonic can't reach or in the case of fluid bearing, something that can't be fixed by cleaning.

I also had a water damaged iPhone 5S that I cleaned the logic board. The board was already working, but I wanted to give it a good clean. I only was able to get heatsheild off, I was afraid of ramping the tempature too high for the rest.

I think a UltraSonic is a good all round cleaner to have.

For PCB boards I use ChemClean Flux Off with Distilled water (In Canada I can't get Branson EC without paying $200 Freight Shipping for a $39 jug.) then a rinse in 99% IPA to dispel water molecules, then a quick drying, sometimes with the help of my hot air station. I may pick up a cheap $25 toaster oven for stuff like that.

Always get the heated model, the heat makes a difference when cleaning.

If you are going to buy one, I recommend "getmedsupply" on eBay, they offer great service.

... rinse in 99% IPA to dispel water molecules, then a quick drying, sometimes with the help of my hot air station. I may pick up a cheap $25 toaster oven for stuff like that.
Yikes! That stuff is flammable.

Edit: Here's the UC I bought for considerably less. Works a treat but it's too small for full-sized motherboards!

Last edited:
then a rinse in 99% IPA to dispel water molecules, then a quick drying, sometimes with the help of my hot air station. I may pick up a cheap $25 toaster oven for stuff like that.

India Pale Ale? You should be thrown in the hoosegow for that... LOL!!! Just kidding.

Not sure if you are aware but pure isopropyl is extremely hygroscopic. So not only will water vapor be absorbed in a final wash your source will also easily be diluted. And I would not use any type of heated air, especially in a closed environment. Just prop it in front of a strong fan.

Here's a great paper from Chemtronics discussing Isopropyl used for cleaning - https://www.chemtronics.com/descriptions/document/2006V5N5IPAasAUniversalCleaner.pdf

I have a free ultrasonic cleaner. I just place the item needing to be cleaned in front of my wife. Her shrilling voice when shes complaining ultrasonically cleans it. :)

PS. Don't tell her I said that. The couch isn't comfortable! :)

Back