Today's reason to hate Amazon

HCHTech

Reaction score
I try to avoid Amazon for client stuff, but have to admit I've ended up using it frequently over the pandemic just because they were the only vendor showing the thing I was after in stock. And generally, I've had very little issues. A couple of damaged items due to poor packaging or mishandling, which were refunded and/or replaced without much pain - otherwise, it's been a positive experience.

However, I bought a thing last month - an impulse buy really, something I came across looking for something else. Not expensive, not really needed, just a "Hey, that would be nice to have" deal. It was a third-party seller, but shipped by Amazon. Ordered 3/18. No status update for a few days, then 3/24, "Carrier picked up the package", with a tracking number for USPS. Ok, a week to ship seems kind of long, but whatever. I check on the USPS site, and it shows "Label created, not yet in system". A few more days go by and I decide to check again. This time, I see another update on Amazon, "Carrier picked up the package" on 3/31. That's weird - why would the pick it up twice? I check USPS again - it's the same tracking number. USPS says "Label created, not yet in system".

Well, we got busy and I forgot about this for a bit. I looked again on April 12th, there was a new update by Amazon "4/12 - Carrier received the package" Ok, well, it's finally moving so ok. I check USPS again, same old status from them "Label created, not yet in system". Hmmm.
Next update on Amazon was 4/14 - "Package left carrier facility" Now finally has an expected delivery date of 4/16. Great. I check USPS again, no updates from them, they still show "label created, not yet in system". Well, 4/16 comes and goes, no package. I check again on 4/17, there is a new update on Amazon at 4/17 showing "Package left carrier facility". USPS still shows "Label created, not yet in system".

On Monday this week (4/18) - I check again, Amazon says "Your package may be lost". Ummm, yeah - I'd say, since USPS never got it. So I open up a chat, and the guy on the other end offers a refund right away. I don't want to let them off that easy, so i press him about the mismatched status updates. How can Amazon status show "package has left carrier facility" when the carrier status never showed that they received it, let alone sent it on it's way? I get double talk for a bit, but finally he says "You can ignore those status updates, they were created by the system." Now, we're getting somewhere. "Created by the 'system'?" I ask - "Using what information, exactly?". Long period of no response that you get normally from vendor chat support when they don't want to answer an uncomfortable question, hoping you'll say something else so they an ignore the uncomfortable question altogether.

Finally, I ask "You mean the "system" just makes up status updates when something goes wrong?". A pause of a couple minutes again, and then I get his one-word response: "Yes".

What!? Amazon's algorithms just flat out create status updates out of thin air when no information is received from the shipper? W.T.F. This is new information as far as I'm concerned. So somewhere deep inside Amazon, there was a meeting about how best to placate buyers when an order is late, and the agreed-upon answer was to just LIE to them? Wow.

As if it would help, the chat dude closed by stating "Feel free to order again if you are still needed (sic) the item." Yeah, and why would I do that? What part of our little exchange would give me any confidence that my experience would be different if I ordered it again. Unfortunately, when the chat closes it evaporates before I can take a screen shot. I was so dumbfounded that I didn't think to copy & paste it before. Normally, support chats are emailed to you by most vendors - but not this time - as if that's a surprise.

Yeah we try to not use Amazon "much"....if we do, often just for little things for around the office, sometimes a tool kit, our our office manager gets things for the office like chairs, carpets, decorations, whatever. But equipment for our clients..generally "not"...it's not our shopping resource for goods we usually resell.

We do try to "vet" the Amazon fullfiller...look at the store you might order from, where are they from, etc. Overseas....hard "no".

I haven't used Amazon for anything related to technology for a while now. Their comingling of inventory is bad.

I use Amazon a lot... far more than I wish I did. But here in Phoenix it's just too darned quick, and customers demand that rapid service. I simply cannot get parts as quickly elsewhere.

That being said... sometimes crap goes wrong, and I get a refund and order again. Sometimes crap goes wrong in my favor... had an expensive set of electrician's work boots show up here in my size out of the blue one day. I'm pretty sure I know what happened in the address matching, and I did try to deliver them myself... but Amazon cannot "accept a return" from me because they cannot issue an RMA without coming from the account that actually placed the order. So now I have a free set of $120 work boots.

Amazon really is a huge mess, and the returns they generate cost more than what they pay in taxes... it's a HUGE mess.

A few more days go by and I decide to check again. This time, I see another update on Amazon, "Carrier picked up the package" on 3/31. That's weird - why would the pick it up twice? I check USPS again - it's the same tracking number. USPS says "Label created, not yet in system".
The 3rd party only sent Amazon a "tracking" number and amazon leaves it at that. All the 3rd party did was get a pickup scheduled but did not actually have it picked up. Amazon would get a delivery notice a couple of days later after the item was actually delivered. After the number of days, amazon thinks the item should have been delivered, the automated system defaults to the could have been lost message.

The 3rd party only sent Amazon a "tracking" number and amazon leaves it at that. All the 3rd party did was get a pickup scheduled but did not actually have it picked up. Amazon would get a delivery notice a couple of days later after the item was actually delivered. After the number of days, amazon thinks the item should have been delivered, the automated system defaults to the could have been lost message.

Yes, that seems right. What I don't understand is what triggered Amazon's algorithms to show "picked up by carrier" when no such thing actually happened (I suspect, anyway)? I suspect the answer is just "time passing", which makes the updates they post useless.

I suspect the answer is just "time passing", which makes the updates they post useless.
Unless the item is shipped by Amazon, it is useless. But if it is shipped by FedEx or UPS, I do not think a tracking number is generated until they actually receive it but I could be wrong on that.

Also, some 3rd party sellers use drop shippers from China to fulfill orders and do not tell anyone where the item is located.

I got scammed by a NewEgg vendor today called TGX.

I ordered a Corsair 850w power supply last week for $92. Sounded like a helluva deal!

Got a 3x5 "Thank You" card in the mail today in a small flex envelope with a USPS tracking label on it.

That tracking number is the one they assigned to my power supply, so NewEgg thinks the order was successfully delivered. I took a picture of the envelope with tracking number and the card that was in it. Then I called NewEgg and sent them the picture. They didn't sound shocked or surprised at all. Gave me an RMA for "Item not delivered" and told me I should get a refund in about 1 week.

I paid via PayPal so if NewEgg doesn't deliver I'll contest the charges with PayPal.

I'm just going to be a broken record here and reiterate I have nearly stopped buying from anything but the actual vendor of the site I am using.

Not an option in far too many cases, and where it is an option predatory practices exist to cut out resellers.

They didn't sound shocked or surprised at all. Gave me an RMA for "Item not delivered" and told me I should get a refund in about 1 week.
So now you might get the item and the refund. Time will tell.
Then the retailer will be out the item and the money when Newegg does a chargeback

Last edited:
Back