"This App Can't Run on Your PC" error

Velvis

Reaction score
To find a version for you PC, check with the software publisher.

I am trying to get an old game running on Windows 10.

Jack Nicklaus 6: Golden Bear Challenge

Oddly the 1.0 version of the software installs and runs. But there have been two official patches which are needed by the modern hacks to allow widescreen and higher resolutions.

However patch to 1.01 gives me the error in the title and first line of this message.

I did a bunch of googling but nothing seems specific to my issue.

Its a 32 bit app, a 64 bit Win10.
I have tried running it as an administrator, as well as compatibility modes with the same results.

There also doesnt seem to be any info about that specific patch having issues, but info is pretty sparse as its an old game and old patch.

The 1.02 patch runs but it requires 1.01 first.

Any ideas why this might be?

Well, thats kind of the weird part. The game runs fine under windows 10. Its just one of the patches to update it from 1.0 to 1.01 wont run.

Well, thats kind of the weird part. The game runs fine under windows 10. Its just one of the patches to update it from 1.0 to 1.01 wont run.
Have you contacted the developer and asked if they can help?
Sometimes a simple request can get a spectacular answer...

The game may be 32-bit but it sounds like the 1.01 patch tool is 16-bit. Really your only option is to use a 32-bit version of Windows 10 on the system or run the installer and patch program in another environment (PC or VM) and copy it over.

When I have run into this 16-bit situation before (a customer insisted on being able to use an ancient version of Microsoft Money, like 2.0 or something)-- I set up the customer with a Windows XP VM in VirtualBox. Once I set it up I disabled the network adapter. You can use vbox in "seamless" mode so app windows appear as part of the native desktop. Just a bit of training on launching and the shared folder location.

Last edited:
As "kurros" said. Patch the game in another PC/VM & move the patched files to W10...
Or bad download for patch 1.01 :)

Yep, it must of been a 16bit patch. I setup an XP vm and it worked fine. Patched it and copied it over. Thank you!

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

Back