Teams Voice not ringing on Android Phone

alexsmith2709

Reaction score
I use Teams voice as my phone system and i have it on my laptop and my mobile phone. My laptop always works perfectly, but sometimes i am away from my laptop and want the phone to ring on my mobile, sometimes this works and sometimes it doesnt. I will instantly get a missed call alert and a voicemail notification if they leave one, but it doesnt initially ring, which is obviously very annoying.
I have a pixel 4a running android 12. Teams is set to not allow any battery optimisation or anything like that that could cause this. It happens whether or not Teams is open on the laptop. Teams on the phone is set to not block notifications "when active on desktop" or at any other time. I have tried regularly clearing the cache which i thought was helping but now i think it was just coincidence that it just worked those times.
I spent nearly an hour on live chat with Microsoft the other day and got as far as "Well it works for me" from the support agent.
I dont use Teams for the video calling that much, this is for the "VOIP" phone system that can be used through it. My setup is the main number goes to an auto attendant and that forwards all calls to my user after a message and the customer presses 0.

Does anyone have any suggestions before i try again with Microsoft?

Greenify might help but short of rooting your phone so that you can modify process thresholds, there is not much you can do. It's not likely a Microsoft problem. Android memory management simply sucks.

Yeah, maybe I'm coming at this from the wrong direction and I need to start looking at android issues rather than teams issues.
I used to use Greenify on an old phone, I guess I could try greenifying everything possible to keep try and keep teams in the foreground but it's not ideal.
Thanks for pointing me in a better direction

I've had this happen, and it was because the Teams app didn't have permission to generate notifications.

Android 12 is kind of annoying in that it'll take permissions from apps on a timer... so every so often you have to enable the notifications again if you don't catch it.

Android 12 is kind of annoying in that it'll take permissions from apps on a timer...

Have they changed this from Android 11, in that it did the same thing, but only if the app had been unused. If you were using it frequently the permissions were not stripped.

I just got MIUI 13 (which is built on Android 12) today, so if something's changed I need to pay attention to this in particular.

Have they changed this from Android 11, in that it did the same thing, but only if the app had been unused. If you were using it frequently the permissions were not stripped.

I just got MIUI 13 (which is built on Android 12) today, so if something's changed I need to pay attention to this in particular.
It's the same behavior, it's just that I've had it detect apps as unused when they weren't. Same thing with 11 though, no real changes here.

I've had this happen, and it was because the Teams app didn't have permission to generate notifications.

Android 12 is kind of annoying in that it'll take permissions from apps on a timer... so every so often you have to enable the notifications again if you don't catch it.
It has permissions and as Teams is used daily its not removed those permissions (i have checked this to make sure).
I've been doing some more reading and someone said it could be to do with Google Play Services that goes to sleep so i've allowed Google Play Services notification access so we'll see if that helps, if not i'll try whitelisting the app from doze mode (setting the mode to "unrestricted" in the UI is meant to do the same thing) using ADB command and if that doesnt work i'll disable doze mode completely using ADB.

Back