SPF issues causing all mail from vendor to go to Junk.

thecomputerguy

Reaction score
A MSP client of mine is having issues with things like Quote's, P.O's, and Contracts that get send out of a third party vendor going to junk. It's basically to the point where they have to tell every single client the check their Junkmail for the contract. I would estimate that the majority of these emails sent end up in Junkmail. We've contacted their support several times and typically this is their response:

We can only troubleshoot as far as to ensure that emails get delivered to the customers mailboxes, but we don't have the ability to influence which folder the emails go to. Sometimes setting up an SPF Record with your IT team can help alleviate the problem, but otherwise the issue stems from filter settings within your customer's email inboxes. If you have not already set up your SPF record I'd recommend doing so using this link for guidance:https://leaptodigital.com/howto/spf-record/ . Please let me know if this was helpful or if you need any further assistance.

However, unfortunately, we have already setup the SPF record per their instructions some MONTHS ago. Here is the SPF record for the client.

v=spf1 include:leaptodigital.com include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all

Funnily enough, when the support team responded to our support request (I was CC'd in it) their response went to my Junkmail folder. I looked their domain up for anything blacklisted at MXtoolbox but they aren't black listed either.

Any thoughts?

Have them send a test to you so you can check the message headers. If SPF fails usually its noted in the headers. That should give you a little more diagnostic information to go off of. If SPF is not failing then it could be something else like IP/domain reputation, or possibly if you have dmarc policy that is enabled that enforces both DKIM and SPF, if they arent signed with DKIM then it may violate your clients dmarc policy.

...returning (too many phone calls slamming me)...and then check out message tracking and see what's going on...check logs to see why it's failing.
No DMARC, perhaps there's not even any DKIM in place. Should have all 3.

Well DMARC isn't SPF or DKIM.

I do not see anything broken on SPF. I would recommend signing DKIM if you can, but I am not seeing what is broken. Do you have logs of what isn't working?

Back