Source: Disk, Message: The device, \Device\Harddisk2\DR2, has a bad block.

JoelM

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a customer with a Dell Poweredge T440 server. It has a Hyper-V host and 2 VM's. It is setup with a RAID 10. I do have one external drive attached and mapped through to one of the VM's for a local backup of the data on that one VM.
My ninjaRMM software runs on all 3 machines. The hyper-v host and both vm's. I got an error tonight from the Hyper-V host machine.

Message: EventId: 7, EventTime: 2021-10-02T03:05:34Z, Source: Disk, Message: The device, \Device\Harddisk2\DR2, has a bad block.

The Dell OpenManage software shows the storage with a green checkmark as if everything is ok. Does this mean it's the external HD? If so should this not trigger from the VM that is actually accessing the external HD?
If it is part of the RAID 10 even though OpenManage indicates all is well how would I determine which drive it is?

Thanks

Open Disk Management in Windows on the platform. What is disk 2? That'll tell you which device is reporting the error.

It's probably the USB disk. DR0 should be the boot array, and if there's only a C drive on the server without external storage... then DR1 and DR2 are probably USB devices or other attached storage.

Open Disk Management in Windows on the platform. What is disk 2? That'll tell you which device is reporting the error.

It's probably the USB disk. DR0 should be the boot array, and if there's only a C drive on the server without external storage... then DR1 and DR2 are probably USB devices or other attached storage.
Thanks for the reply. I do see that now in Disk Management
Disk 0 is my Raid 1 boot
Disk 1 is my Raid 10 array
Disk 2 is the external USB drive. It is listed as offline I'm guessing because I have it passed to one of the Virtual machines so the VM can access it directly.

I assume that the USB drive is for backup. Time to retire the drive and replace it. If that is your only backup you need to consider more than one drive that can be stored off-site or at least on-site in a properly rated fire safe. Single attached drive as only backup is just asking for disaster with Ransomware or even a power surge frying the server and everything attached to it. Not to mention fires, theft, tornadoes, spilled coffee, etc.

Numbering for devices like that typically start with 0, with internal buses being listed first. But I always go to diskmgmt for confirmation. That assuming thing can be the cause of major problems.

Numbering for devices like that typically start with 0, with internal buses being listed first. But I always go to diskmgmt for confirmation. That assuming thing can be the cause of major problems.
Hardware is typically base zero, software base one. but this rule isn't hard and fast... so always double check.

Computers love to switch the first position being zero and being one ALL THE TIME.

Remember the old ARC Paths from Windows 2000/XP?

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)

That's the first controller, the first disk, the first disk (again because different controllers), and the first partition.

They swapped from 0 to 1 right there!

If I drank... I swear this stuff would make me an alcoholic!

Back