[solved] Help deleting stubborn folder!

IG88

Reaction score
I have an empty folder that I cant open/delete. Ive tried numerous utilities to forcibly delete it with no success. I tried to delete it through the recovery console to no avail. If i type DIR it tells me the directory contains another directory within it called System Volume Information with the hidden system attribute. I assume i need to remove this attribute so i can delete the folder but it wont let me - access is denied. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

When I come across a really difficult to delete file,
I remove the drive, crack it open (you'll need torx heads)
and then carefully remove the offending file using the eraser on the end of a pencil.

It works!:cool:

Unlocker was the first thing I tried, it didnt work which surprised me. How would i delete it using UBCD4Win? Come to think of it I dont think I tried Unlocker in safe mode, I should try that again.

Last edited:
I agree with Bryce not nescessarily because UBCD4Win is the fastest/easiest/etc for this task, but because you should try it out and get used to using it, as it has been unbelievable useful to me for a variety of tasks.

Deleting it in UBCD4Win is just a case of opening up MyComputer (or one of the included file browsers), selecting the file, and hitting delete :). Making the ISO and burning the CD in the first place will take longer, but once you have it you will be glad you did.

Last edited:
UBCD4Win has a "Windows Explorer" type application that allows you to view files like the built in Windows Explorer. Deleting it though this usually works before the file/virus/whatever isnt in use because your Windows isnt booted.

Back