Side mounted rack

Tech Savvy

Reaction score
This might be the wrong thread. I think I can probably fit under server or even hardware, but I thought this might be the best fit, so here goes. Mods, if you have to feel free to move it to somewhere more appropriate.

Has anyone ever come across or used a side mounted rack? The spot I am putting some networking equipment would be better if I can mount it on the right side rather than from the back. See attached pics. If I keep the location and back mount to the same wall the front of the equipment will be turned 90 degrees. Not the end of the world, but unless I get an enclosed rack it won't look as nice, again not the end of the world. I can't keep the orientation but mount it to the back wall because there would be too much of a gap between the front of the rack and the front of the desk, you won't be able to reach it to do anything.

My goal is to just clean it up a little bit. Install some patch panels and tidy it up. If anyone else has a better idea I'm all ears!

P.S. I should probably mention the desk is a custom built desk made of 2x4s and plywood.

Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 9.20.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-10 at 8.57.50 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-10 at 9.12.04 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-10 at 9.14.45 PM.png

I found this but it doesn't have sides, so maybe not what you are after 🤔

Oh yeah.
Flip through the several pages starting here...Star Tech makes quite a few. Some of which are "hinged"...so they easily swing open/out for service in tight areas. Many are "open". Some models also come in a kit where you can adjust the U height.

Mid Atlantic is another brand we've used a lot of....here is an open swing out one, but they made a ton of others. They were bought out by LeGrand.

I'm confused. Do you want to keep the equipment orientation the same? In other words the thin sides parallel with the back board. I see those in a lot of places. AKA vertical mounts?

Otherwise just get a rack with hinged back access

AKA vertical mounts?
I usually don't like to use vertical mounts unless I have to. I do try to choose a hinged rack when I can.

Basically Im looking for a normal wall mounted rack but instead of mounting it to the wall from the back of the rack, I want mount it to the wall from the right side. Like Taz's option, but that one isn't hinged.

Back