[WARNING] Seniors Beware - Beyond Here Lies Complicated

NviGate Systems

Reaction score
I mean, we all know this, but I feel truly sad that there is no "Seniors" mode in Windows 11 and that for those who still have (some) ability to use technology, it's a truly mixed bag.

I'm currently setting up a laptop for a friend who needs one for her elderly mom to access a few things. It's a Lenovo Windows 11 based laptop.

I just find it rather amazing that let's say, you have a senior that just wants access to a few things here and there...nothing that requires an account...like being able to attend Zoom calls or listen to audio....simple things. You have to have an account, so I created a new one for her mom, and have used her daughter's cell # for the recovery so that it's easier if she needs to recover it. I can at least set a simple PIN to login, but for some seniors even that can be a tough one depending on how versed they are.

I get the fact that security has changed, but when you look at the situation, what is that PIN even protecting? It's a senior's PC that is listening to music and zoom meetings for church....for (relatively) young folks like me, it's cool I use an account, but there seems to be an industry change that is forcing seniors and those with poor memory and skills out the door.....or forcing family members to support them way more.

I know there is a guest account in Windows 11, but...to get that enabled you still need an account which a family member can setup, but isn't there any other friendly way of setting up a senior's access without having it be "guest"? It seems like we are shoving seniors out on an ice float all over again....

Personally, I think you're overreacting a bit.

One thing you can do to make it possible to avoid PINs is open Settings, Accounts, Sign-in Options and in the Additional Settings section throw the toggle for allow only Windows Hello to OFF.

I have not yet needed to do what follows under Windows 11, but it worked all the way through Windows 10 Version 21H1, and I've done it for a number of clients who are blind or vision-impaired: To Turn Off the Password Entry Requirement under Win8 or Win10

Having a Microsoft Account does NOT (or did not, like I said, I haven't set this up again very recently) prevent the no password entry workaround.

These days, with fingerprint sensors, facial recognition, and PINs (which in the case of a senior I'd make the last 4 of SSN, if memory is an issue) it shouldn't be difficult to log in with ease. And with facial recognition, on the machines that support it, it's like "nothing" is required.

Also, make sure in the same above noted location that you change the "If you've been away . . . require sign-in?" to NEVER.

Maybe a Windows computer isn't the right fit for that use case. A lot of people in that demographic would be much happier with an iPad. You can get a 9th generation iPad new from Apple for $329 and if you want a nice keyboard case / cover to essentially make it into a laptop you can get a Logitech for $159.

The Windows 11 Home edition requirement to be joined to a Microsoft account only applies TO THE FIRST ACCOUNT ON THE DEVICE.

You can still create a local admin or not user with no password and have them use that like you always have. It just must be in addition to the above linked account.

@timeshifter Is also correct, these use cases have been absorbed by tablets. They are simpler, vastly more curated, and much easier to support devices than anything Windows based. They are also less flexible, but that is the reason they are simple.

To some extent yes tablets full a range of needs.

I support one senior who has used an ipad for years, and the decision by Apple to remove "slide to unlock" was hard for her. She can't always grasp that she has to press home then press again to start the unlock. Even my mom had trouble with that.

Plus, with some senior, they don't have the skill to say, update apps so they have to wait for family to do that. It's be nice if there was a remote "help a senior" option for even Apple to remotely approve an update...

The thing with Windows 11 is that I don't want to start changing settings that MS can decide to undo or stop supporting. While it may work for a while, it's not the way forward. I'll see how things go. If things are tough, maybe I'll create a local user with no password and set auto login or something.

I don't think I'm over reacting. Some things in technology used to be simple but there is lots of complications these days.

Yes, technology is mostly inclusive however people are always left behind.

I don't think I'm over reacting. Some things in technology used to be simple but there is lots of complications these days.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree. While I will agree that some complications that were not once present have appeared, but not just on computers, the fact of the matter is that in the big picture everything with computers is MUCH simpler now than in the early days.

The amount of care and feeding requiring end user attention has shrunk to almost nothing.

I work with lots of seniors and those with visual disabilities, too. Their access to computers now is light years ahead of where it was even in the Windows 7 era, and definitely since the XP era, which many seem to look back on with rose-colored glasses. What's too painful to remember, we simply choose to forget.

I just find it rather amazing that let's say, you have a senior that just wants access to a few things here and there...nothing that requires an account...like being able to attend Zoom calls or listen to audio....simple things. You have to have an account
I usually set up PCs with local account no password, then set a password for the customer if they want it. Saves the complication of getting or creating their MS account (I do it in some circumstances e.g. if they have 365 and are using OneDrive)

There are workarounds for the Windows 11 setup to allow local account. Or as said above you can just create another local account after setup (easiest with command prompt "net user" commands), and remove the initial account.

My apologies. I guess I'm slightly frustrated more at the lack of ability than the actual technology. My father is slowly losing it and I have fears that eventually (if it's something that runs in the family) that I will be next.

He constantly messes up his technology, forgets his PINS and more. It kinda drives home how for a normal person that has thier senses and wit, it's easy enough to remember and use technology. But take someone who is slowly losing it and it all unravels. Of course, many of these people are afraid of handing over control, they fear they are giving up in a sense.

Take it one day at a time I tell myself.

Authentication is hard.

Must be rooted in three things:

Something you have.
Something you know.
Something you are.

Which is why I really wish we used Biometrics better. Because "something you have" could be the device itself, "something you are" can be a fingerprint. If access is that simple, there's nothing to remember just holding the device is sufficient. Sadly, Microsoft and no one else really affords this sort of access control without some SERIOUS spending. Whereas tablets, just work this way. But you can't persistently remotely control a bloody tablet! ARG! You're right to be frustrated!

My father is slowly losing it and I have fears that eventually (if it's something that runs in the family) that I will be next.

You have both my deepest sympathy and empathy. My own mother died in 2021 after a more than decade-long battle with dementia. She and all 7 of her siblings eventually got "the family curse."

It's never far from my mind that it could easily happen to me, but there is, at this point in time, very little that can be done about that from either a preventive or treatment perspective, so I refuse to dwell upon it.

Back