[SOLVED] Scan to network share not working

taysr

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm stumped, I have a client with a Toshiba E-Studio 2540C printer.
Basic setup, Telstra router, Printer connected directly to router (static ip), laptop running over wireless with network folder shares configured (running windows 8.1, not connected to domain)

Trying to setup the smb scan to folders but it keeps saying incorrect username and password, now i've tested with my own laptop and can confirm access to the network share, along with authentication of the username and password, can also create files/folders in the network share.

Printer has the router as the DNS server.
Have tried the following settings:
Network Path \\10.0.0.137\Scans I've also tried with the computer name \\onsite\scans
Login usernames i've tried:
scans (this is the user account)
onsite\scans (computer name along with username)
onsite.local\scans
Password: the user password

Seriously don't know where else to look besides it being some obscure network setting i've overlooked?

can the printer ping the laptop?

does it work with the laptop's firewall off?

does it work with file sharing on the laptop set to "enable file sharing for devices that use 40 or 56 bit encryption" ?

with some Xerox's I've had to actually declare the protocol: smb://192.168.0.x/Scans...."

Are you 100% positive the folder scans is root accessible? i.e., it is c:\scans ?

if it is on the user's desktop then you may have to declare: \\computername\users\bob\desktop\scans

Alternatively, does the printer support scan to email ?

Have you turned off password protected sharing in Windows?
Also try the username of guest as I've found that is sometimes needed on some copiers.

I had this issue on Win 8.1 machines:

run cmd: net user to see the users. Then check the Hostname is not being confused with the computer description.

For the user: type in "Hostname\user" and also verify the path to the share.

You should check to see if there is a newer BIOS update for Toshiba. I support Ricoh mfps and there was a firmware/BIOS update to support Win 8/2012. Microsoft upgraded the version of SMB support and older mfps need to be updated to support the upgrade.

You might be able to browse the lan from the mfp console... check to see if you can see the target folder while browsing manually.

Good Luck

You should check to see if there is a newer BIOS update for Toshiba. I support Ricoh mfps and there was a firmware/BIOS update to support Win 8/2012. Microsoft upgraded the version of SMB support and older mfps need to be updated to support the upgrade.

You might be able to browse the lan from the mfp console... check to see if you can see the target folder while browsing manually.

Good Luck

I believe this was the issue in the end. I got in touch with Toshiba and they wanted to charge a ridiculous amount for a technician to update the firmware, something like $286 for the first hour and then $66 every fifteen minutes after that, and they couldn't guarantee this was the fix. So I got my hands on a Windows 7 machine and tested, worked first go, but on my win 10 machine and the customers win 8.1 machine it would not work, kept spitting out file storage error.

Thanks for all the input guys, greatly appreciated!

You should be able to scan to email (with it's size limitations) or leave a win 7 machine to receive the scans and share that folder out to the network so the Win 8/10 machines can get the scans over the LAN.

Sorry but I don't have access to Toshiba firmware files. They are normally behind a protected Toshiba website.
You might want to find an independent copier dealer (usually sells used or refurbished product)... they may have access to the website.

You can do the install if you have the files... Similar to updating router firmware.

Good luck.

Back