runtime software - thanks for nothing

16k_zx81

Reaction score
A number of people here have mentioned Driveimage XML as a cloning system, and so thought I would take it for a test drive on my bench machine.

I cloned the drive, got 'success' result, and went to nuke and pave fresh install of OS

Went back to restore the image, DXM hung for a long time, and then came back with "out of memory error"

Ok, thinks I (the desk machine has 8gb and 2tb hdd, so not likely) and google the issue - something about a corrupt xml file

I have a look at the file in question and its 2gb in size from a 160gb hdd

So looks like the software has produced a broken image

As the customer specifically said they needed their data, I wrote runtime software an email explaining the issue and asking if they could direct me to more information about the error the software had produced.

No response.

I wait another 24 hours, and then email them again explaining that this is customer data and I would really appreciate a response.

I get a form letter back advising that they do not support the free version and that I must pay for the full version if I want technical support.

I write back to them again, advising that it was with a view to buying the full version, but that I would need to resolve this issue and to see the software perform with some reliability before I would consider buying it.

48 hours. No response.

Now I have the unenviable task of telling the customer their data is lost.

Not very impressed. :mad:

Contrast this with Paragon, who I have had dealings with in regard to trials of their software, and they literally bent over backward to assist. Last year I was on the phone to their tech guys who were extremely clued up and could not have been more helpful. Follow-up phone calls, emails, the whole box and dice to make sure the product was doing what I needed to.

So back to Paragon for me, it is.

Given that Runtime staff have washed their hands of the problem their software has caused, does anyone has any ideas about getting this image to read. ?

Thanks

Jim

driveimage xml out of memory error
driveimage xml customer service
driveimage xml reliability
driveimage xml unreliability
driveimage xml free version

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this Jim.

As a precaution I use a IDE/SATA/USB adaptor to retrieve information first to save data if possible.

It might be a bit more time consuming but from my experience it's worth it.

I bought mine online from australia. I think it was only $30.00.

Regards,

A number of people here have mentioned Driveimage XML as a cloning system, and so thought I would take it for a test drive on my bench machine.

When compared to Acronis backup & recovery DriveImageXML seemed like garbage. I tried it a while ago I can't recall what annoyed me about it...I think I couldn't restore the backup to a smaller hard drive even though the data itself did not come even close to filling the drive.

(note: Acronis backup & recovery not to be confused with acronis true image which I find to be inferior)

Last edited:
16k....first..I want to say.....trying some free open source program for the first time...and trusting it, wiping a clients rig...wow you put your balls on the table for that one. I read you mention "bench rig" and I assumed you meant one of your own computers that you use for working on clients rigs. I'd have made a backup of a clients rig with a known software that I've used many times in the past..at least for a fall-back, before nuking the drive.

I've tried XML in the past....wasn't impressed with it either. Not to mention there are so many free tools that work well around today. I mean..just go to the drive manufactures site and get their latest free version of Acronis.

Paragon...yeah their support is great, used to resell them years ago...this tech by the name of Tony...always on the game!

just go to the drive manufactures site and get their latest free version of Acronis.

Warning: Note free versions of Acronis makes images that only work for that particular free version not for the regular true image paid versions. Though if my memory serves me correctly the acronis backup and recovery software is capable of reading all true image versions even the free ones.

I only use Ghost and Acronis. No others have not come close to them. Works great everytime. DO not test on clients computers. Its not good. I have purchased a few years back, if you need a copy. Im here.

Well, we're all closing the barn door after the horse is gone. Sorry 16k, that's a tough spot to be in, regardless of the cause.

Whatever it's worth for anyone else considering Driveimage XML based on it's rather frequent mention on TN, either don't waste your time or test it extensively first.

I've tested it several times over the last few years, and not once have I been successful at creating & restoring an image. It always failed at some point.

Granted, some members here apparently use it successfully, but it's been 100% unreliable across several tests and long periods of time for me.

Sorry.
I hate to be a pain, but I've never had a problem with it.

Digging back to the original question.

Is there a way to get that data back?

Long shot, but can you transfer the archive to another machine and try the restore again ?
Maybe there is a hardware compatibility issue.

Is there anything on http://runtime3.org/blog/ that could help ?

I saw some YouTube references to memory issues. Maybe something there ?

Failing all this. Try some heavy duty recovery software on the paved drive. You might get something.
I've recovered financial data from a paved drive before.

Last edited:
Did you try recovery software to get the data back? I know its still runtime software, but i tested getdataback on formated drives and it worked every time. I know you wont want to use runtime software after the first issue, but I'd try recovery before telling the customer the data is gone.

Warning: Note free versions of Acronis makes images that only work for that particular free version not for the regular true image paid versions. Though if my memory serves me correctly the acronis backup and recovery software is capable of reading all true image versions even the free ones.

Not an issue when working on and/or replacing customers drives.
We got the Seagate and Western Dig versions of Acronis on our bench rigs.

Commodore beat me to it.

When I had a similar problem, I used GetDataBack for NTFS

It's a 3 stage process, i advise saving each stage to prevent having to repeat things if the results don't come through.

Last edited:
Yes of course I am trying to recover the data

I slapped the disk into my data recovery box last night. Will hopefully see when I get to work or later today what the results are. Im not optimistic though - its a small drive, so overwriting will have occurred on a high percentage of it.

------

The response to from Runtime after I notified them of this thread

Jim:

It appears as though your public forum feels the same way we do. This is a free product that has no support. Using it on your customers drive was an unfortunate mistake on your end. Either your XML file is most likely corrupt or there were an excess of files on the drive and there is no way to repair it or fix it.

Jody Wilkes
Runtime Software
808-329-2202
Captain Nemo 5.0 is now out and supports XFS.
Tutorials available at http://www.youtube.com/runtimesoftware

"Using our product on your customer's drive was a mistake on your part"

Wow - you're not kidding. And they actually admit that in writing!

And this

"there is no way to repair it or fix it"

Well thats interesting, because their first response was to tell me I could get technical support if I bought the product. Now they are saying there is NO SOLUTION to the problem.

(think about it)

So somehow its a mistake on my part having not just bought the product outright - because I would have then been able to get technical support for a problem that is, by their own admission, unfixable!

My mistake was using their software. period. All this claptrap about buying the product would have made absolutely no difference to the result. The fact is the product is crap, and all that would have been achieved is money lost on something unuseable in a professional environment.

But Runtime, dont let facts get in the way of your argument. By all means continue to respond, and to dig yourselves in deeper.

Jim

Last edited:
Interesting response, but what jumped out at me was a reference to "an excess of files on the drive". Does that mean Driveimage doesn't work if there are too many files?

"Using our product on your customer's drive was a mistake on your part"

Wow - you're not kidding. And they actually admit that in writing!

And this

"there is no way to repair it or fix it"

Well thats interesting, because their first response was to tell me I could get technical support if I bought the product. Now they are saying there is NO SOLUTION to the problem.

Jim

I've used it a number of times.
I thought it was a decent product.

I stand corrected.
Their response is appalling.

They have lost a supporter.

I'm just sorry it took a data disaster from 16k to open my eyes.

That they openly admit that product is flawed, indicates that it should be withdrawn.

Last edited:
Interesting response, but what jumped out at me was a reference to "an excess of files on the drive". Does that mean Driveimage doesn't work if there are too many files?

Well whatever way you read it theres no real information there. Draw your own conclusions. From whats been said, apparently not :confused:

Back