Remote Desktop software not working on Windows 11

alexsmith2709

Reaction score
I upgraded this PC to windows 11 to have some familiarity with it and occasionally it would be nice to use some remote desktop software for me to access while i am at home. I have tried using nomachine, teamviewer and anydesk and none of them connect. I have nomachine still installed and i can connect to other computers fine (although this is the only one running windows 11), but this one will not work as the server. I get a session could not be negotiated error. This happens both locally and externally. I tried switching to use a private key instead of password authentication and got the same error.

It doesnt appear to be a port issue as if the port is blocked/incorrect it doesnt even get that far, which is obviously expected behaviour. Windows firewall doesnt look to be blocking it, rules are there to allow the software through. Nomachine doesnt currently list windows 11 on their website, but Teamviewer has said it is fully compatible with Windows 11 so im guessing it is some setting on my computer/network that is causing this. Does anyone have any other ideas of where i can look? This may be a case of im over looking something very simple while trying to find something more complicated.

I have no other antivirus software installed other than windows defender which doesnt appear to be blocking anything, no firewall software other than windows firewall. I tried with UPnP enabled on my router to see if that was causing any issue, but i have the same problem. Quick Assist works, but is not ideal in this situation as unattended access is preferred as well as not having a disconnect because of inactivity.

Any ideas?

Do you have any other Win 11 machines you could test on? Just to narrow down whether it's a Win problem or machine-specific.

No unfortunately not. Im guessing as nobody else has mentioned this in the last 2 months that it probably is machine specific, but i just cant figure out what it is thats causing it. The only other machines i have are Win 10 and Ubuntu and they all seem to work fine

With the user base of those programs you mentioned (TV etc), I think it'd be all over the net if this was a general problem. So, my guess would be machine-specific. I'm assuming everything worked OK before the upgrade? Must say - you've checked pretty much everything I'd have checked. I assume device manager is showing no yellow flags? Or out-of-date/incompatible drivers anywhere? I mean - I know that shouldn't really be an issue, but if it's not what you think it is, it must be something you think it isn't...

but if it's not what you think it is, it must be something you think it isn't...
Exactly which is why I thought i'd post here to get some fresh eyes on it. Tomorrow i'll have a look in device manager as I havent done that yet

Hmmm. Is it possible to remote in to a PE disk? I must admit, I don't remember ever trying before - something like Gandalf's for instance?

Hmmm. Is it possible to remote in to a PE disk? I must admit, I don't remember ever trying before - something like Gandalf's for instance?
I just remembered i have a windows 11 VM on my laptop, i will try remoting from that later. At least that will narrow down if its machine specific or not, but then i'll still have to figure out what is causing it

Hmm, oddly looks like its a windows 11 issue, at least with nomachine. I get the same error when going from this windows 11 machine to the windows 11 VM (separate device) and if i go from a windows 10 machine to the windows 11 VM.
While nomachine doesnt specifically state compatibility with Windows 11 yet, Team Viewer does state its compatible so i may have to do more investigating with that. I haven't tried teamviewer personally but a remote colleague wanted to set something up for me recently and it wouldnt connect.

I haven't tried teamviewer personally but a remote colleague wanted to set something up for me recently and it wouldnt connect.

As both a workaround, and another diagnostic test, if remote access is not needed for what you're trying to accomplish at the moment try Quick Assist. If it can connect it certainly points to other software being the issue.

Quick Assist does work but not suitable for the use I need as I need unattended use and no disconnecting after a few mins of inactivity

Quick Assist does work but not suitable for the use I need as I need unattended use and no disconnecting after a few mins of inactivity

Which I understand in "the big picture," but I was riffing on this, "a remote colleague wanted to set something up for me recently and it wouldnt connect." That sounded like a one-time shot where unattended access was not necessary and is a good test situation.

Which I understand in "the big picture," but I was riffing on this, "a remote colleague wanted to set something up for me recently and it wouldnt connect." That sounded like a one-time shot where unattended access was not necessary and is a good test situation.
For that it would have been ok, but there was already a language barrier and we got that issue sorted once it was explained properly. I only added that part as that's when I found out my issue wasn't just related to nomachine

Back