Recovery partition Windows 7

johnrobert

Reaction score
I have a Dell Optiplex desktop Inspiron 3668 that I want to clean install it has a 12 gig active restore partition that's hidden.
I have Googled but did not see how to do it. I tried using Windows DVD but when I go to select partitions there's none and its asking for drivers, just thought it would be easier to do it from restore partition then I don't have to worry about installing device driver for Windows 7
All I can find is F11 but that only works for XP
there must be a way of doing it since it has the hidden restore partition
it must have been downgrade before as when I put the tag in at Dell site it only has drivers for Windows 10
I think this would have been a special downgrade order form Dell

I think the Dells don't have a dedicated recovery program linked to the BIOS like many others do. Instead you have to get to the boot menu using F8 and it's an option in there, if I recall. I haven't done it with any of the newer Windows 10 computers, though, and since you can't use F8 with the newer systems they must be doing something different by now. For some of them you run the recovery program from within Windows, which is just about useless.

If you can't figure out how to get to the recovery partition your other option is to order the recovery CDs/DVDs from Dell. The last time I had to get them from HP they cost about $35. I would imagine Dell's pricing would be similar.

Thanks, I did see that before but I had tunnel vision and was looking for repair option below never expected it to be on top
as I have seen that screen so many times before.
I will do a driver backup first just in case something goes wrong.
I have a Dell Windows 7 DVD but it did not find HD drivers I guess I could hunt for them but that's more work and I have got lazy with doing Win10 installs.

Many thanks again

You also have to keep in mind that, if it was a downgrade install, the Win10 key built into the motherboard will not work with Windows 7, which is a huge pain in the neck.

"I have a Dell Windows 7 DVD but it did not find HD drivers I guess I could hunt for them but that's more work and I have got lazy with doing Win10 installs."

Many thanks again[/QUOTE]

Use Snappy Installer my friend, use Snappy Installer.

eff the damned recovery partitions! Do you really want to reinstall all the crapware that comes with Dells, HPs and others?

The only reason we used to depend on recovery installs was because of drivers. Get Snappy Installer Origin. Or, use the PCI database to look up unrecognized devices.

Boot from a Windows disk and run diskpart and blow all all the factory stuff and start clean.

Last edited:
I used to try to keep the recovery partition because it was the one way the user could reinstall Windows themselves, so I really hated to nuke it. Then I realized that asking the user to install Windows when all they have to do is click a couple of buttons is like asking the user to disarm a bomb after assuring him that he just has to cut the red wire. Yeah, it's easy to do, but it scares the hell out of him so he just has me do it for him anyway.

Back