Quick question RE: fiber cabling

DocGreen

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm planning out a fiber backbone for this project I'm working on and I had a question that my Google-Fu couldn't answer. I've never actually learned how to terminate fiber, so we're using factory-terminated cables.

My question is, is there a limit to how many connections you can have on a fiber run? (by connections, I mean the little couplers that connect 2 terminated ends together)

Basically, I've got a 8 story building with a switch on every floor. I want to put an aggregation switch on the 1st FL, and then run fiber to each of the switches on the floor above. Can I link cables together from floor to floor without any trouble, or do I need to have a solid cable from the switch to each floor?

Ideally, I would do....
8-pair cable from 1-2
7-pair cable from 2-3
6-pair cable from 3-4
and so on, up to the roof.

Does that work? Or would having that many couplers on a single run cause too much signal loss? (It would be 16 couplers from the aggregation switch to the furthest switch)

I've always had cable made for the distance of my runs, I never connected multiple cables to make one long run.
I'd avoid field splicing kits...they cause the most signal loss. Suppose you can order multiple lengths pre-made with factory connectors from a cable manufacturer...that'd be the approach I'd do, as long as the cable manufacturer knows your goal and can verify end signal.

What do you mean by link? Using a coupler? I do see those as distribution points but have never used them myself. Just straight runs.

I did go through a 1 day fiber training Fluke had put on 3-4 years. One thing I learned is that it's NOT recommended to do fiber runs like copper. In other words with copper you make all the runs then terminate and test as needed. The fiber kit to properly do that is expensive and it's time consuming and you really need to have a fiber tester. As @YeOldeStonecat mentioned getting pre-made is the way to go. Inner duct is also a good practice. You can order customer lengths of inner duct with fiber or pull strings.

@YeOldeStonecat @Markverhyden
Yeah, I'm definitely going with custom-length factory terminated cabling. And yes, by link together I mean with a coupler.
LC-LC-Duplex-Singlemode-OS2-Fiber-Adapter-Coupler-Blue-Color.jpg

What I'm trying to figure out is, do I order a 1-pair cable to go to each floor?
Or...
Can I run an 8-pair cable from 1-2... drop 1 pair for that switch, and connect the remaining pairs to a 7-pair cable.
Then 7-pair cable from 2-3... drop 1 pair for that switch, and connect the remaining pairs to a 6-pair cable...
...and so on.

Back