Precision electric screwdriver

NYJimbo

Reaction score
Well after posting a "woe is me" thread about increasing competition in my area, the next day all hell breaks loose and I get swamped with work every day for the week. I've been so busy I have not had the time to haunt this forum and bother people until today. :p

One of the local shops just took me on to do their laptop work and another shop that used to do things like dc jacks doesn't want to do them anymore and is thinking about using me, so they are testing me out. I put up some colorful signs in my windows to tell people I do MacBook and MacBook pro stuff and now that's coming in faster than before.

Anyway, I know we just had a thread on whats your favorite screwdriver but I find that now I am in need of a high quality precision electric screwdriver for tearing down laptops.

I have several cheap store bought models, all under $75 and I have tried a few friends slightly more expensive models but I think I really need something
more specific. Right now I need to be able to tear down at least 10 laptops a day without having to hire someone or having my hand burst into flames. The only thing slowing me down right now is the tedious removal of screws.

What I need is something light, it must be a lever start (not push). Preferably variable speed, but if not then low speed. Must have powerful enough torque to release tight screws on removal but also be relatively lower in torque for re-assembly. I do not want a heavy gun type, I will be holding this thing all day. I am willing to spend up to $500 but I think I can get by on something in the $300 range.

Does anyone here use a screwdriver like this ? Can you offer any insight if I should go with brush or brushless ? AC or DC ?

Thanks.

exactly the item that you had just described

Rule:

You cannot post advertisements of any sort in any forum. This includes products, services or websites that you would directly or indirectly benefit from in any way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, but do you use this ? Do you recommend it and if so, why ?

This is the same thing posted a week ago or so and it just looks like some cheap Chinese crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes i use it, and have been for 6 mo now

Why do you say it looks cheap chinese crap, have you found something that is similar and sold from china

Yes i use it, and have been for 6 mo now

Why do you say it looks cheap chinese crap, have you found something that is similar and sold from china

Well because it does look like cheap stuff, there is no data out on it, I have no idea if I can get parts, returns or repairs. Bottom line is that to spend $200 on a no name screw driver out of China, sold on ebay, would not be my first choice.

You say you had this for six months but you just posted about this on 02-22-2013. When asked about it you said "I will make a review as soon as i get a chance" which kinda sounds like you have not had it for very long.

Last edited:
Well all that would be dealt with through our company, we have come up with several products lately but we are not a big time manufacturer and its made in china as is everything else in the world

we put our products through testing to ensure they work well, so i have been using it for 6 mo

You asked for a precision screwdriver so i posted, your free to buy it or find something else

It has 3 speeds an on/ off switch and a connection for 2 screwdriver attachments, it works on both 110v to 240v

Its also XModdz brand not a no name brand its called the PPS 60 as mentioned in the listing

As mentioned when i get a chance i will make a review better video more photos etc;

But since you think its cheap, i would request you to look for something else as you must be an expert to tell from 2 photos that its a cheap product and i would rather not deal with the hassle provided something goes wrong with the product

HP & Compaq put our horrible products with data, brands and a multi million dollar corporation behind them doesnt make the quality any much better
I work for a small business who is trying to make a name for them selves and putting out bad products this early would be idiotic

Last edited:
Well, I would agree with Jimbo, the build quality does not 'look' good. Clearly that is just what I have been able to see from the video and pics. Secondly, I would be hesitant about spending north of $200 for a product that has no information that I can find other than a seller's review (here on tn) and a poorly shot video. Where is any documentation, specs, etc? Have you sold any of these yet?

If HP is your model, well good luck with that. But remember, they might be crap today, but they didn't get there by selling and supporting products they couldn't document or support.

Then there is the question of you advertising your product here.....

Last edited:
Ok, a question was asked and a solution was provided by one of our Technibblers...

In the ad for the item it states as such for their Return Policy:
After receiving the item, contact seller within 60 days - Refund will be given as Money back or item exchange (buyer's choice)
What more can you ask?

My problem with the unit is this: what type of screwdriver bits come with it and what can be used with it? As we all know, laptops come with different screw heads and we may need to change bits. When working on desktops and installing motherboards, I like to use a very long shafted bit.

I really didn't care for the video with its Music... it was too long for what it showed and for a tool for me to use, I want to hear the sound of the unit being used, see someone change bits and show a variety of bits that are available. I want to see and purchase a unit that can remove the 50 tiny as_ screws that hold a Macbook Pro keyboard in place.

I have yet to find a decent small powered screwdriver that had the torque to do the jobs that I want to do, for laptop and desktop.

The unit that I use on my desktops is this: DEWALT Heavy Duty 7.2-Volt Ni-Cad Cordless Screwdriver
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100656704?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=dewalt+cordless+screwdriver&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=100656704#.UT10JFflv54

I have had one of these units for the past 8 years and I can adjust the torque down to finger tight, which is where I usually have it set for installing screws. I've also used these in my home remodeling/repair business in the past. Bits are changed out really quickly.

On another thought, maybe 'acesdeals' should send 'NYJimbo' one of these units for a 60 day trial and if he likes it I'm sure he would recommend it on this forum and probably purchase one. He is a well respected member of this group (IMPO).:)

Last edited:
I don't have one, but this looks amazing for $20 especially if you have a collection of NIMH rechargeables like me. I've been using manual but this post got me interested. I would really prefer a levered thumb action, but I'm going to give this a try.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Tools-Power-Precision-Screwdriver-500/202025658
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DViIGtLt9g0

Don't bother. I bought one and it is to slow...it is quicker using a manual
screwdriver.

Brad.

Well all that would be dealt with through our company, we have come up with several products lately but we are not a big time manufacturer and its made in china as is everything else in the world

Oh, so you actually make these things ? It sounded more like you just bought one and were sharing the experience. Still I think for the money I will have to stick to a brand name or something with more history to it.

I've been using a Hitachi DB3DL for a few years now. It's getting a bit worn out at the switch contacts but it's fast, came with 2 batteries and has a built in clutch. It looks like it's been replaced by the DB3DL2.

Well, I would agree with Jimbo, the build quality does not 'look' good. Clearly that is just what I have been able to see from the video and pics. Secondly, I would be hesitant about spending north of $200 for a product that has no information that I can find other than a seller's review (here on tn) and a poorly shot video. Where is any documentation, specs, etc? Have you sold any of these yet?

If HP is your model, well good luck with that. But remember, they might be crap today, but they didn't get there by selling and supporting products they couldn't document or support.

Then there is the question of you advertising your product here.....

So you must be a product manufacturer to tell its poor quality from 2 vague photos and video, that is your opinion and there is nothing wrong with that but to say that is poor judgement without having clear close up photos

The casing on the power supply is all metal, so if metal is a poor material to use then please advise me :rolleyes:

The unit has been dropped, no dings and still works fine

I only buy toughbooks now
They had a class action lawsuit against them and gave away free laptops hmmmm

As mentioned when i get a chance i will release that info

I am not doing any advertising at all, somebody wanted a product i posted a link simple as that

They wanted info i provided, i did not post pricing or anything on this forum so its not advertising

I have sold none of these yet, i just put the ad up on ebay so i can get back to it with proper information

If you look at our store from ebay we have recently put up some ceramic heaters and have sold a few and our clients are extremely happy with them and i provided details about those items, i still have to get a video for it to show how well it works though

But when the ad was originally on there, it just had some photos

We are in the process of building bga rework machines, soldering tools and of course the screwdriver so when the time comes there will be specs and documentation, photos and videos until then this is all i have

Our products may not be for you or any other technibblers thats fine but if somebody requests an item i will post about it as i did

--------------------------------
So far nobody has responded to the OP with an alternative to our product
If you find something else please post it, i did not come to this site to advertise and if there was something else i would recommend it but i have yet to find anything else

I do have some tiny bosch screwdrivers that work really well however they are for larger electronics only such as tvs mainly

I bought this crap and it was totally horrible i could not get it to turn anything so maybe it works better for screws that are not tight at all then
http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-500-Precision-Screwdriver/dp/B002XZLTQO

Besides that i found this and didnt even bother contacting as its probably a grand or so http://www.assemblytec.com/index.html

So i have provided 3 options for you sir :D

My last bit on info, the product is not YET released its GOING to be available and when it does it will have more photos, videos, etc;

RPM Speeds 455/705/1005
Voltage 110 240V

Most bits are available for it, it will come with a variety of phillips and flat bits
Torx, Hex, etc; will be available upon product release

Oh, so you actually make these things ? It sounded more like you just bought one and were sharing the experience. Still I think for the money I will have to stick to a brand name or something with more history to it.

No problem at all, totally understandable

Ok, a question was asked and a solution was provided by one of our Technibblers...

In the ad for the item it states as such for their Return Policy:
After receiving the item, contact seller within 60 days - Refund will be given as Money back or item exchange (buyer's choice)
What more can you ask?

My problem with the unit is this: what type of screwdriver bits come with it and what can be used with it? As we all know, laptops come with different screw heads and we may need to change bits. When working on desktops and installing motherboards, I like to use a very long shafted bit.

I really didn't care for the video with its Music... it was too long for what it showed and for a tool for me to use, I want to hear the sound of the unit being used, see someone change bits and show a variety of bits that are available. I want to see and purchase a unit that can remove the 50 tiny as_ screws that hold a Macbook Pro keyboard in place.

I have yet to find a decent small powered screwdriver that had the torque to do the jobs that I want to do, for laptop and desktop.

On another thought, maybe 'acesdeals' should send 'NYJimbo' one of these units for a 60 day trial and if he likes it I'm sure he would recommend it on this forum and probably purchase one. He is a well respected member of this group (IMPO).:)

Totally understandable i had a technician make that video, and the music was put in place because their were techs talking but i turned it off just for you m8 lol

All the bits that are out there, will be available if not at the launch or soon after the release and if there is a bit that does not exist send it to me ill have it made in mass production

I wont do a free trial im not that rich, but i can do a discounted product provided the purchaser puts up a full review

So you must be a product manufacturer to tell its poor quality from 2 vague photos and video, that is your opinion and there is nothing wrong with that but to say that is poor judgement without having clear close up photos

I spent about 7 years importing goods from China, and other countries. Toured several factories in China as I sourced out manufacturers for electronics and other goods. So, yes, I have some familiarity with the process and range of materials and quality available. That being said, what I meant was that by just looking at the two pics and video, I had minimal information by which to judge the actual quality. Based on my experience, though, it did not have the immediate appearance of a quality built item.

Specifically, here is why I think that. Again, I only have the fairly low quality video and pics to go by, so only you will know the accuracy of this, but it is what I noticed.

1. The seams between the multiple parts of the case appeared to be off-centered, or not properly aligned with each other. This is an indication of poor design and bad materials. I could be wrong about the alignment (like I said, the video and pics are all I have to go by), but if not, you might want to have a close look at the build and specs of you manufacturer.

2. The lever is another area of concern. It is presumably metal (though it did look like chromed plastic in parts of the video). As the lever was pressed, it appeared to flex a little, which would be common with a plastic or thin metal lever. Again, if accurate, this is more of an indication of other parts of the build and their quality or lack thereof.

The casing on the power supply is all metal, so if metal is a poor material to use then please advise me :rolleyes:

Metal fabrication is not the end all be all definition of a quality build.:rolleyes: And the casing on the power supply would be about the last thing I would concern myself with. The power supply pretty much just sits there. It is the driver itself that holds all the important motors and gears and suffers all the wear and tear.

I am not doing any advertising at all, somebody wanted a product i posted a link simple as that

They wanted info i provided, i did not post pricing or anything on this forum so its not advertising

You posted a link to an ebay ad with pricing for a product your company is, or apparently, will be selling. I'm not sure what you count as advertising, but regardless, this goes against forum rules. I see Martyn has already deleted the ad part of your posts. Personally - no harm, no foul, and I would hope nothing else comes of it, but lets not pretend it wasn't an ad.

In the end, I hope that this item sells well for you and that it is as durable and valuable as you are saying. If it is everything you claim, I'll buy one from you. My primary complaint was that there was absolutely zero supporting anything to be found anywhere (other than your own sites/ads) for an item you were advert.... er, suggesting someone buy for over $200. That, and the build quality is still a question mark for me, but once you get all your ducks in a row, if you can demonstrate that in a satisfactory manner, great.

Back