Picked up a wireless site survey tool...NetAlly AirCheck

YeOldeStonecat

Reaction score
Got this bad boy a couple of weeks ago
https://www.netally.com/products/aircheck/
By itself...a great tool.

When you sign it up for AllyCare package...you then get this app for it...so you can do very detailed heat maps.
https://www.netally.com/airmapper-site-survey/

Cost a bit if coin, we got one of the kits that seems to MSRP around $3,200....got it through one of our wholesalers for around $2,700. I then found you really need to "AllyCare" package added...for more functionality (felt a little ripped off at first)...so added that, it's about $260/year. Such as the AirMapper app for it.

Up until now, we'd been doing the site surveys more manually, using tools such as an older version of inSSIDr on my laptop (back when the free version had more functionality than what the newer free versions have). And other apps on the smart phone like UBNT's WiFiMan. I'd have a large printout of the building with me and I'd make notes by hand as I walk around.

We recently took on another school as a client, and she asked us to take a look at her wifi not long ago to prepare for this coming school year. Their network is mostly all Fortinet hardware...the firewall, some of the TOR switches at the disties, plus a few XTreme switches in the mix. Ugh.

Anyways...that job covered a good portion of this cost, and we certainly do enough wireless networks to justify the rest of it.

In addition to the usual stuff you have with most wireless survey tools like *what SSIDs you see, *what APs you see *What channels are being used by which AP *signal strengths, this one throws in much more detail and a few other things. It reaches deeper into each AP to retrieve more info for you, I like seeing SNR up front in addition to the usual signal strength. Also shows you each client per AP and what their connection quality is..so you can see if certain APs are struggling...may need more AP density in certain areas so airtime is kept at a higher quality. Also has a cool feature showing you "Interferers"...if other "things" are stepping on the spectrum. AutoTest runs a barrage of tests when you're in a certain area, and it has a built in ethernet cable port to validate a cable feeding an AP.

The AirMapper app is a cool heatmap survey tool, import a basic drawing of a floor..scale it...and go walk around...stopping in areas to run a quick test at that location. Marking where each test is on the map. When done, upload, and it produces a heatmap of the areas you walked. You setup an online account that you bind your device to, so it will upload data to that online account and from there you can produce reports, save network surveys, projects, etc.

Good to actually "validate" a wireless network, print out reports you can hand over.

Back