Personal Cloud Computing to Replace Complicated and Unwieldy VPN/Server Setups?

scandalist

Reaction score
I am always looking to streamline my services and become as efficient as I possibly can when supporting SMB's (and undercutting the competition by thousands if possible.) Personal cloud computing has caught my attention as a way to do away with the complications involved installing and configuring the typical small business for their needs. The following is the standard needs of any small business:

Expensive server running overpriced M$ products to host files, VPN's that take days to setup on both the server closet side and the client side so clients have remote access to files, and god forbid an exchange server for shared calendars, syncing and of course email.

What it really comes down to is data, access to the data, preserving the data, and the management of the lowly and vulnerable end user.

Looking at personal cloud solution like http://tonido.com, I can't help but see this as the future of any small business and the savior of all techs who spend ungodly amounts of time in the trenches configuring the standard archaic SMB setup.

It obviously will not scale well for large businesses who need a full blown AD config to manage thousands of users and multiple sites but for the small business many of us are used to dealing with I think its solid.

Advantages I see:

1. If you've used Teamviewer before, you know how easily software like this busts through firewalls and routers with zero hassles. No need to spend hours at the command line or buried in documentation to allow a service through the edge device. I can't tell you how many strange esoteric routers I've ran across.

2. Backups are practically stored on the synced devices - if a system goes down its just a matter of re syncing. 10 users syncing data means 10 separate backups that can be restored manually or with the cloud software (redundancy?)

3. In the case of Tonido, synced data on the server can show up as mapped drives in explorer. Why did we need that VPN again??

Unlimited data storage compared to standard cloud providers.

Disadvantages I see:

1. Pulling and syncing files remotely requires decent upload speed which atleast where I am is lacking in luster.

2. To save money which is one of the main reasons to take the personal cloud route, this software would be installed on a linux server so managing users on a Windows domain is out of the question. (This may or may not be a bad thing in the end.)

3. Knowing that you won't be getting payed as much because the system you have just implemented is far more efficient and the number of elements that have a chance of failing have been massively reduced.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Agree...it's a service I've been keeping my eye on, last year I started a thread on it. Services are emerging out there.

Some ones already existing....
http://owncloud.org/
http://anchorworks.com/

Probably some more came up in that thread...but I can't recall at the moment.
I talked with some guys from AnchorWorks last year...(now bought up by eFolder). Did a demo, looked great. Download/installed a trial...worked well. However....their sales model for the MSP channels, purchase large bulk licenses. Entry level purchase was too high, I didn't see myself being able to sell enough to make money for a long time.

I'm eyeballing how Microsofts "OneDrive for Business" is evolving. Previously known as SkyDrive Pro. (the big version of SkyDrive). Since Microsoft has been pushing SMBs from Small Business Server to Office 365, and OneDrive is part of some O365 packages...will be interesting to see how we can use this.

It's not so much the "cloud" concept. That is just another re-marketing spin on client/server technology. It's all in how easy and reliable it is.

They will still use the same types of connectors as before. Meaning a encrypted tunnel will be created to transfer data back and forth. Obviously some features may change such as authentication and encryption. What I see from many customers is the self hosted vs third party hosted is the big question. And that has a big impact on our work volume.

I've been using ownCloud for well over a year now and I'm quite happy with it. The performance has been excellent. At this point I'm comfortable enough with the reliability to start talking it up with clients as a self hosted option.

I also did an in depth look at Pertino VPN and posted a write up about it.

On a separate but related note I was catching up on my reading last night on a flight. The Economist's January 18 edition had a number of very interesting articles about information technology.

Back