PDF program with fast searching?

HCHTech

Reaction score
I hate these kinds of questions. I have a small office on Sharepoint. The owner sometimes accesses files from an iPad, and using the PDF Expert app can search through large PDF files (think dozens up to hundreds of pages) for content. This is a surprisingly quick process. I watched him search through a 200-page PDF for someone's name, and it only took a few seconds.

When trying to do this same job from a PC using Adobe Acrobat Standard, it is a much, much slower process. Even though the PC has the file synced so it's local, you can see the pages tick by one-by-one in the status bar as the search proceeds, 1 page every 4 or 5 seconds. The computers resources aren't pegged, so the OCR-ing process Adobe is doing must be the bottleneck. Clearing the search cache doesn't seem to help, and manually doing the "embedded search index" thing for every file they want to search isn't practical.

Has anyone had experience with some other Windows program for searching within PDFs that might be faster? I already suggested "Well, then you should get your workers iPads", but they're not quite ready to do that, of course.

Are you saying that the PDF files being searched are image-scanned and not OCRed in the first place? If that's the case, these need to be OCRed and the image layer saved with the files so that they can be quick searched forever after.

I have to presume that if it's always fast on the iPad that the copy on the iPad already has been OCRed and saved with the text layer kept with it.

My favorite PDF Viewer for years has been Tracker Software's PDF-XChange Viewer. This program has been replaced by PDF-XChange Editor, but is still downloadable and works perfectly up through and including Windows 11. It has a very robust OCR capability in multiple languages, and a free set of language packs is available if you need to work with something other than English, Spanish, French, or German. I had a client who was working in Swedish and it worked just as well OCR-ing Swedish as it did English. I believe it can be invoked via command line to batch process, but I've never done that. If I have an image-scanned PDF I just hit the OCR option when I'm viewing it and save it after the OCR is complete, which stores the text layer as part of the file.

Client is an attorney, and these files are usually medical records obtained from other sources. Pages are a mix of text, hand-written notes, x-rays, MRI images, etc. I wouldn't know if they were OCRed prior to receipt, but if that process takes any extra work, I doubt it. Many are several hundred pages in length. I'm going to suggest they try searching THE SAME FILE on both devices to get a better test. Other than that, I don't really want to get in the middle of this problem. The PC they are testing on is decent, Ryzen 5, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Win10 Pro. No speed complaints from other softwares. Thanks @britechguy for the software tip, I can have them try that one.

Back