PDF files won't open in Windows Live Mail

Computer Chip

Reaction score
One of my clients has an HP desktop running windows 7. In windows live mail, she cant open PDF files directly in the mail. It says there is no association for the file. I have checked to see if the accociation is correct and if you download the file and open it it works fine. I have googled this to death and can find no solution to the problem. ( there was a fix under vista but it does not work for Win 7) Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Did some googling and it looks like Live Mail has problems with other file associations as well.

Why don't you try installing FoxIt Reader and see if it opens with that?

Yes, I unassociated the file type then ran the repair install. Did not work. All other file types open fine.

I had this problem with PPS files on another machine, found a fix for it but I do not remember what exactly I did. I recall I had to do a registry edit. I wish I had written in my repair log but it was for a friend and I just did it without my usual paperwork.

Did you try running a repair on Acrobat Reader from the help menu? "Repair Adobe Reader Installation"

Tom

Yes, I unassociated the file type then ran the repair install. Did not work. All other file types open fine.

I had this problem with PPS files on another machine, found a fix for it but I do not remember what exactly I did. I recall I had to do a registry edit. I wish I had written in my repair log but it was for a friend and I just did it without my usual paperwork.

could it be this?
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/unable-to-open-pps-ppt-from-windows-mail-or-wlm/

If you right-click a PPS on the desktop, the double-click function is "SHOW", not "OPEN". That's where Live Mail has its problem.

You just go into the registry and rename the Show into Open and you're golden.

I found a little program that does just that not that long ago but didn't seem to keep a copy of it.

Did you change the internet preferences for Adobe?

In Edit, preferences, internet...change from "open in browser", uncheck that box.

that may help.

Back