Partitioning linux

Hi friends,i am new to linux.Pls tell me how to make partition for linux manually.

Questions a little vague; are you installing Linux and want to know how to partition the HDD manually as opposed to guided partitioning? or are you looking to re-partition what you have now to add a Linux partition? or is it something else entirely? lol

if your installing linux most install's ask you how you want to partition the HDD and do it for you in which cae i follow these steps

1) Swap: set this partition to be double the size of your ram and set its file system to 'swap'
2) System: this will contain the system (in windows terms the windows folder) i would set it to be 30+ Gb, the default filesystem select should be the right one, its normally ext2. and se the mount point to be '/'
3) Home: this will be where any user data is stored (Their 'Home' folder) set it to be the rest of the HDD, files system ext2 as above and mount point /home.

Noodle2732 or any one else.

I'm a newbie to linux.
I like it.
I want to learn more.

Here's my question:

I have installed mandriva 2008 on a 20g hard drive. I have a second hard drive with 2g on it.

I used gparted to partition.

20g is seperated like this: 10g for system(linux ext3) and 10g for home(fat32).
Fat32 because i wanted to test something.

The 2 gig hard drive is my swap partition(swap linux).

I'm not sure if mandriva detected it... Is there a way to verefy that ? Is there a config file that I have to modify to tell linux that my swap partition is on a different hd ?

thanks

I'm not sure if youll know what im saying, but GRUB should of picked up all of your partitions and it would of listed them in the bootloader if everything was done correctly.

HtH

-will-

Back