[SOLVED] Parallel Printer Install Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

seedubya

Reaction score
A client has a number of Oki Microline 385 24 pin dot matrix printers. We recently installed a new Windows 7x64 bit PC with an add in PCIx parallel port card, expecting the printer to work as we had been told by the software support guy that it would.

Well guess what? It doesn't! The printer itself works just fine on XP, so nothing physically wrong.

First off, Oki don't have a specific Windows 7 (or Vista) driver for the ML 385. There are, however, drivers included with Windows for the 380, 390, 391, 395 etc. which should work. When I install using one of those drivers, Windows thinks the printer is out of paper when I try to print. dir > lpt1 gives me nothing either.

The parallel card is a Moschip thingy, hardware ID MCS9950MF\STN_CASCADE_LPT

Does anyone have any idea where to go from here?

Last edited:
I would contact the software support person. He has to know if the software will work on 64 bit computers. He might have a solution...

A client has a number of Oki Microline 385 24 pin dot matrix printers. We recently installed a new Windows 7x64 bit PC with an add in PCIx parallel port card, expecting the printer to work as we had been told by the software support guy that it would.

Well guess what? It doesn't! The printer itself works just fine on XP, so nothing physically wrong.

First off, Oki don't have a specific Windows 7 (or Vista) driver for the ML 385. There are, however, drivers included with Windows for the 380, 390, 391, 395 etc. which should work. When I install using one of those drivers, Windows thinks the printer is out of paper when I try to print. dir > lpt1 gives me nothing either.

The parallel card is a Moschip thingy, hardware ID MCS9950MF\STN_CASCADE_LPT

Does anyone have any idea where to go from here?

If it's professional use xp mode? Is it one application that needs it?

What application are you printing from? Try installing generic text driver. If the application requires the printer to be on LPT1 and your PCI card does not allow changing the address to LPT1, you can share the printer and map it back to itself using NET USE command.

I would contact the software support person. He has to know if the software will work on 64 bit computers. He might have a solution...

The application works just fine and will print to pdf. But the printer will not even print a test page.

If it's professional use xp mode? Is it one application that needs it?

Duh! Why didn't I think of that :eek:
Have you tried a usb to parallel adapter?
I shipped one to them this afternoon. They should have it tomorrow and I'll try that also.

Is it actually in LPT1? Checked base address and IRQ? Disabled bi-di printing?

The addin card has a single parallel and two serial connectors. Only one parallel shows up in device manager and is assigned as LPT1 but this can be changed in the driver. Default setting is "try not to use and interrupt" which I have changed to "Use interrupt assiged to device". IRQ assigned is 18.

What application are you printing from? Try installing generic text driver. If the application requires the printer to be on LPT1 and your PCI card does not allow changing the address to LPT1, you can share the printer and map it back to itself using NET USE command.

Printing from Pegasus Opera II BUT it won't even print from the command line, dir > lpt1 does nothing. I can make the LPT port any number I like but nice work around.

I had a rosewill PCI Parallel card that I recently used to install two old Oki dot matrix printers to my fathers windows 7 machine for his business.

Try these:

"I went to Device Manager> LPT1> Properties> Port Settings, and changed button to "select any interrupt assigned." Seems to have solved the problem."

Also I remember something about needing to set the parallel connection to "legacy mode" ?

After that the thing was printing just fine. Before that it would install but not do a damn thing.

In my experience those USB to parallel adapters caused a lot of problems for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back