Opening UK Shop?

Haktar

Reaction score
Hi guys,

myself and two of my friends are thinking about opening a shop, we went to see one today and i think the guy said it was just under 500 square feet, im not sure how that goes in the way of shops but its plenty big for us, the guy wants £75 a week in rent, ive put a list of all of the costs i think that would be involved at the bottom of this posts if you guys can look it over and tell me if ive missed anything please let me know, id love to open a shop but im not sure we can afford it especially if there are any hidden extras ive forgotten about :p

the other concern i have is that we obviously don't have any stock/can't afford any and the front of the shop is bigger than the back so its alot of empty space i don't know what we could do with :/

any thought on this would bre really appreciated :D

Rent:£300
Line Rental/Broadband:£20-ish
Electricity:£30 - no idea if this is accurate its a total guess
Business Insurance:£40
Yell Ad:£140

ive got the total to £530 per month.

Hi there..

I work from home, well the workshop, and these are my average monthly overheads, to give you some kind of comparison..

Rent - Nil
Council Tax (Business rates in your case) - Nil for me, but you will get charged a heap..

Insurance - £40.00
Repairs - £23.62
Heating (gas) - £15.00
Electric - £60.65
Postage - £14.47
Printing - £8.46
Stationary - £4.63
Motor and Travel - £31.60
Phone (Landline) - £28.15
Phone (mobile) - £20.00
Advertising - £178.78
Broadband - £7.50
Web hosting £4.99

The above costs me close to £440 a month, and I have no rent or rates to take into account. So as a really rough guestimate, I would say your looking at around £1000 pr month, just on overheads.

Don't forget that you will also need to take into account, your travel expenses, fuel, servicing, insurance, accountants fees, alarm / security grill / shutters, cctv??, web hosting fees, bank charges.

What computer(s) you will have on a daily basis to work on for office use, ie will you just have 1 main pc, which has all your programs and data on, or will you each have one, will you have a pc, for data recovery, a stand alone for virus removals, a secure server for backups..

The 500sq ft, size your thinking of, isn't all that large in reality.

I work from a converted garage, measuring 20ft x 10ft, or 200sq ft. I could EASILY have double the space, and still not have enough room for everything.. and there is now just me working here. With 3 times the space, two of us, would be cramped, yet alone 3!

Re the empty front part of the shop, what you could do, is just get hold of some old motherboards, graphics cards etc, and show customers what they look like..

Think about reselling ink cartridges. They are cheap enough to purchase, have those on a rack or two, and that will take up some space.

Same with cd's dvd's etc. Suppliers for cheap ones are well known ;)

Re the back of the shop, have you considered your workbenches, how many your going to have, space for the pc's and laptops coming in / going out.

Personally I would try and save some money up. Work from home for the time being, get a client base established, see how things pan out for a year or two, before even thinking of opening a retail outlet.

I have thought long and hard about opening a retail outlet over the years, but with being in the recession at the moment, and the 'little' overheads I have, there is no way I could afford a shop right now.. Nor would I want to..

Just a few things for you to think about.

By all means its a great idea, and I wish you all the luck in the world, but seriously think about it..

Hope this helps

Be safe

Nige
Cadishead Computers

Wowsers cheap internet. I pay nearly 100 bucks a month but it is business grade 20 mbit service.

yeouch.. $100 a month!!

this is only for a 8mb line. Tbh, most internet providers here, dont charge all that much, I think the maximum is around £18-20 a month..

My bb, is from o2, who I have my iphone with, and they discount it by £5 a month, so normal price would be £12.50, which is still cheap, so I cant complain :)

I haven't looked into getting a dedicated business line, as it isnt worth the cost. I admit, having the extra speed would be awesome, but 8mb is enough for me at the moment :)

have a great one

but its plenty big for us
On top of the expenses mention by others above, you'll also need to cost in how much "us" are going to need in basic salary/remuneration.

I would get the advice and support of a local business agency (whilst they still exist!) and draw up a fully costed business plan before signing-up for a lease.

If you don't have any capital for stock I would question why you need a shop front. Whatever you do, make sure you don't go into this venture under-funded, getting a new retail business started in the current financial climate is going to be very tough - it's never been easy in the good times.

I wish you the very best of luck, but think and plan carefully before you make any financial commitments to third-parties.

Hey guys, i really appreciate all the input!, the one we were going for was kind of expensive, but it turns out theres one a two minute walk from my house thats very affordable, even if its not uses as a shop and just as a work place just now, we would obviously like walk ins though, we also have part time jobs between the three of us and we aren't looking to make any money from it for now we just want it to be successful,

im going to see this shop tomorrow but from the window it seems to be an not bad size in the front at least, my worry is still that the front will be empty and the back will be full of tools, does anyone know where i could at least get empty component boxes to put on display?

or any ideas you guys have to pad out the front shop :p

we have looked into grants etc but we can't get them because were keeping our part time jobs for now to pay for this then we will phase them out

Hey guys, i really appreciate all the input!, the one we were going for was kind of expensive, but it turns out theres one a two minute walk from my house thats very affordable, even if its not uses as a shop and just as a work place just now, we would obviously like walk ins though, we also have part time jobs between the three of us and we aren't looking to make any money from it for now we just want it to be successful,

im going to see this shop tomorrow but from the window it seems to be an not bad size in the front at least, my worry is still that the front will be empty and the back will be full of tools, does anyone know where i could at least get empty component boxes to put on display?

or any ideas you guys have to pad out the front shop :p

we have looked into grants etc but we can't get them because were keeping our part time jobs for now to pay for this then we will phase them out

Sorry Haktar, forgive me for saying this, but I feel as if I have to.

It sounds like and forgive me if im wrong with this assumption, that between the 3 of you, you've decided, that you think you know about computers, and decided to start a business between you.

a) The 3 of you have part time jobs - Possibly no savings to back you up.

b) To open a retail outlet, you would require at least 3 months overheads in your bank account, to start you off. Do you have this amount of spare money?

c), have you even got a bank account yet?, as this will take a couple of weeks to set up.

d) From the questions you have asked regarding VAT etc, in previous threads it sounds like you have little or no business sense.

e) In order to be compulsary vat registered, you require a turnover of approx £68,000 pa. This equates to £5666 pr month, or £1307 pr week or £186 pr day, each and every day. Do you honestly think you will turnover this amount of money right away?

f) Most retail outlets, require either and or a deposit of at least 3 months rent up front. From the last post, you mentioned rent being £300 a month, so call it £900 in total.

g) The remaining overheads, you forgot about in an earlier post in this thread. Ave £1000 pr month. Are you 100% sure, you can achieve that amount of turnover, plus your expenditure on parts from day 1?

h) All 3 of you are going to keep your part time jobs, then phase them out?
When will the shop be open, who will be running it on a day to day basis?

i) Have you thought about the costings of setting up the said retail shop?, inc fixtures and fittings, workbenches cabling, networking etc.. This alone could cost a couple of thousand.

j) You have asked about "what is the best and most importantly the cheapest way to install a legit windows for a customer?"

This type of question, a tech should know, and not need to ask about on forums.

k) i just phoned the customer and she said the computer asked her to burn a recovery disc when she bought it, ive never heard of that before so im gonna pick it up and see what she has.

Again a tech should know what a recovery disc is.

l) Have you thought about who your suppliers are going to be?, have you enquired as to trade accounts

m) Business insurance - Do you have a definitive quote on this, public liability, professional indemnity, and stock loss?

I'm sorry, but I could go on. I'm all for people learning, and trying to start off on their own, but these ideas, and the questions raised, make me feel as if your just starting up in IT, and have little or no knowledge of what is actually required.

With the 3 of you, in part time jobs, why don't you all take stock, sit back chill, and relax for a moment and think.. Do we have a loyal, and large customer base we can start off from?

If not, how are we going to get one up and running fast.

Advertising - If your thinking of the Yellow Pages, then im afraid you may be too late for this years book, as it will possibly be in print by now. There fore it will be at least 10-12 months before joe bloggs really knows your out there. How else are you going to get your name out there?

Have you not thought about starting small, working from home for the time being, to get your customer base, get your name out there, as starting from scratch in a retail outlet, will be damned hard. Especially in the current economic market.

Have you heard of Business Link?, (Not sure where you are in the UK), but most if not all cities have one.) Google them, make an appt, and go through a business plan with them; and see what they say about everything.

Don't run before you can walk.

Like I said, I don't mean to put you down, it just sounds like you need to be level headed about this, and not thinking, oh cool lets open a shop up.. There are dire consequences should it not pan out.

Sorry if this post is harsh, but I stand by every word. Even if it means I get shot down in flames.. I feel like it needed to be said. Apologies for the really long reply everyone..

not at all don't apologize, i do appreciate the input although i feel like you think we don't know what we are doing, two of us including myself have diplomas in Computer Systems, Networking and Administration and the third although has no qualifications is a very talented designer.

I wasn't aware of the three months up front, im 99% thats not the case for us but if it is that won't be an issue.

I have indeed got a business account, its taken almost two months to set up the bank manager bailed on us half way through and it had to be passed to another manager which is why it has taken so long.

you absolutely right, i have no business sense what so ever when it comes to VAT etc, i have, well i think i have alot of good ideas to get business in, but no clue about TAX etc, i have learned alot on this site though and at meetings, plus one of the guys setting this up with me is a Deputy Manager in game so he knows his stuff, regarding maketing and safety issues.

i did know about the £68,000 pa for VAT, although it may be in our best interest to register for it if we end up dealing with alot of products, i assumed i could register before the £68,000 mark but im probably wrong lol, i haven't look to much into it.

i don't think our overheads will be £1000, i could be wrong but i think it will be closer to £500, if i am wrong we have the other jobs to pay for it, all we are looking for at the minute is somewhere to do repairs, and hopefully save enough money up down the line to get some stock in. I have already cut my job to only working nights and weekend so i will be in the shop 9-5 Monday-Friday and Alex will be in all day on the weekends, Michael will be down on his two days off which change but are Tuesday-Wednesday at the minute. this is obviously new to us so we expect to be paying quite abit out of our own pocket, then hopefully as the advertisement goes out our personal payments will go down each week until we make a profit.

The fixtures etc won't be a problem, our family's are full of tradesmen who are doing the work for us, obviously we will help but the labour is free and they get the materials at cost prices.

hahaha you've clearly done your research on me, when i asked "what is the best and most importantly the cheapest way to install a legit windows for a customer?"

i simply ment in practice what did the experienced guys think was the best way to go about it, i obviously know every method from UNI and have set up a few deployment kits etc, but UNI and the real world aren't exactly the same, when i asked that, it was also quite a few months ago so i didn't know who the best suppliers were, or if anywhere even sold OEM keys on there own to cut the cost. And like i said i obviously know what a recovery disc and a recovery partition is but i have never heard of a laptop asking a user to burn the disc again this is down the lack of real world experience and to be frank the woman was a drug user i didn't think she knew what she was talking about.

i have though about a few suppliers ive registered with three of them, although i have settled on my main supplier, they have 32,000 products and im currently working on incorporating there csv into the mysql database of our site (me being the programmer of the bunch), i wasn't going to post this yet but seeing as were on the topic please take a quick look at our site and let me know what you think http://www.novatekk.com/

i have had a few quotes on business insurance, and i almost signed up for one totally forgetting that my Girl Friends dad owns a business insurance company, i guess that shows how much i listen :p

For the advertising side of things we are going to be in yell as of the 3rd of next month, its a little expensive, we opted for the sponsored ad, so we will come up in the top search results for computer repair in quite a large area around us. This is mostly why i think we need a shop, we are getting quite regular calls with almost no advertising, people are starting to spread the word, but alot of people seem hesitant to let a young looking guy come and pick up there machine and drive off with it, almost everyone wants to take it somewhere they can come back to which is understandable. i think we are getting alot of calls because of our pricing, i know i seem uneducated by my questions but it really is a lack of real world experience, i have worked for the biggest computer company around this area for the past few years on and off just when ever they needed me, i am the only person the for company that can do console and device repairs so obviously that will be a big market for us because they can't do it any more and they were the only people that did it, and i also know there pricing for everything so i can undercut them.

I believe your business link is called business gateway here, i have met with them a few times, the first woman was terrible although the second guy was very helpful!, we have a few more meetings booked with them for accountancy etc

not at all, your not putting me down your just making me think, i have done alot of work the past few months and i can't think of anything that i have forgotten but there will be, although taken the above post into consideration i don't think that i have, i understand why you posted what you did i didn't really explain myself that well earlier.

Thanks Again ;)

Edit:
i should have also mentioned that, we have had uniforms made, which i think makes us stand out from the t-shirt and jeans shops around here, and also we have had alot! of business cards and other forms of advertising made, i used vista print which are very reasonable, and the best i could find for the price does anyone have any better sources?

Last edited:
Well I sincerely wish you all the best of luck..

I wasn't aware of the three months up front, im 99% thats not the case for us but if it is that won't be an issue.

This is one of the first things, I would ask, when seeing the shop owner. Also check on how much the business rates would be for the shop. Ask at your local council's rates dept. (As I think that could shock you)

i did know about the £68,000 pa for VAT, although it may be in our best interest to register for it if we end up dealing with alot of products, i assumed i could register before the £68,000 mark but im probably wrong lol, i haven't look to much into it.

You can register for voluntary VAT at any time you wish too. Speaking to an accountant, (most have 30 min free consulatation), could be of some benefit to you.

i don't think our overheads will be £1000, i could be wrong but i think it will be closer to £500, if i am wrong we have the other jobs to pay for it, all we are looking for at the minute is somewhere to do repairs, and hopefully save enough money up down the line to get some stock in.

Re the overheads, the £500 you mention, is the list of your proposed overheads, the ones, mentioned earlier in the thread? If so, then I think there will be a lot of 'unexpected' overheads. I always aim to increase my expenditure costings, and decrease my income, to see how im doing at any point in time..

i have though about a few suppliers ive registered with three of them, although i have settled on my main supplier, they have 32,000 products and im currently working on incorporating there csv into the mysql database of our site (me being the programmer of the bunch), i wasn't going to post this yet but seeing as were on the topic please take a quick look at our site and let me know what you think http://www.novatekk.com/

Please do not settle on just one main supplier. Have 3 or 4 around just in case. There are quite a few for you to choose from, not including distributors..

For the advertising side of things we are going to be in yell as of the 3rd of next month, its a little expensive, we opted for the sponsored ad, so we will come up in the top search results for computer repair in quite a large area around us. This is mostly why i think we need a shop, we are getting quite regular calls with almost no advertising, people are starting to spread the word, but alot of people seem hesitant to let a young looking guy come and pick up there machine and drive off with it, almost everyone wants to take it somewhere they can come back to which is understandable.

In that case, have you not thought about doing on site work?

i think we are getting alot of calls because of our pricing, i know i seem uneducated by my questions but it really is a lack of real world experience, i have worked for the biggest computer company around this area for the past few years on and off just when ever they needed me, i am the only person the for company that can do console and device repairs so obviously that will be a big market for us because they can't do it any more and they were the only people that did it, and i also know there pricing for everything so i can undercut them.

Undercut them by all means, but dont undercut them too much. An example being, there used to be a pc shop in my area, well the same shop 4 different people owned). I found out their costings, and made mine approx 75% of theirs. My sales went up through the roof, they went bust, and or closed the shop. What will be your USP (Unique Selling Point), and it had better not be pricing!?. Mine differed drastically from this shop, in that Yes I could undercut them by at least 60% if I wanted to, and still turn a nice profit, instead, these guys didnt do ANY laptop repairs. Whereas I did. 50% of my turnover these days is from laptops. I know things have moved on a lot since then, and you are always looking at the next big thing so to speak..

i should have also mentioned that, we have had uniforms made, which i think makes us stand out from the t-shirt and jeans shops around here, and also we have had alot! of business cards and other forms of advertising made, i used vista print which are very reasonable, and the best i could find for the price does anyone have any better sources?

Vista print are by far the cheapest around when it comes to bus cards etc, have you also thought about their return address labels?, Myself and other techs on here, attach these labels onto pc's the underside of laptops etc. Cards can always get lost, these cant.. well not too easily lol.

To be honest my mum works for the council in the housing department and i think were getting quite a good deal, its only £51 a week in rent with no rates and we are getting 6 weeks for free to set up and the lease is only a year, although ill fine out more at 3, like i said the shop isn't huge compared to some but it is for us and we will struggle to fill it for the time being.

ahh do you mind me asking your suppliers? i found mine out from the established shop i worked for, they are bluepoint, spire and dvd tech, dvd tech are quite cheap for media although there site is under construction, i took your advice and contacted them enquiring about buying bulk media as shelf fillers :p.

i have though about doing on site work but that situation hasn't came up for us yet because the only place we are advertised is in game shops so almost all off our business so far is console repairs and i think that will be our USP.

Ahhh that's an excellent idea!, i did get 140 address labels in our order but i never though of attaching them to machines! i do have alot ot warranty stickers although they aren't customised with out logo.

i do appreciate the criticism so thanks again ;)

Hang on a second.. a shop, with no business rates?, thats almost unheard of. I would check that out VERY carefully...

My current suppliers, are a mixture of Target Distributors, Aria, Ebuyer, MicroDirect, Blue Point, Overclockers UK.

i will double check that today to be safe but i know for certain that there isnt. i think its because of the size of the shop, although the council here gives new business rate re-leaf for two years anyway.

Haha, some people just want a shop Cadishead, there is not much you can do to change their mind.. three partners with no existing client base and shop expenses is going to be murder to a starting business. You and your friends might be ok throwing in your extra money for a month or two, but what about a year later when you hit a quiet time? It is going to be tough. Someone isnt going to want to do it anymore.

Hang on a second.. a shop, with no business rates?, thats almost unheard of. I would check that out VERY carefully...

My current suppliers, are a mixture of Target Distributors, Aria, Ebuyer, MicroDirect, Blue Point, Overclockers UK.

I agree with you just because your mum works for the council dont mean she knows because you will have to pay business rates and that can be very expensive, I work from home and because i have a bed in the room I don't need to pay business rates, I looked at a shop not long ago and business rates where £60 a week.

haha i never said we didn't have a client base, we get about 5 calls a week with almost no advertising, i didn't mean my mum knew anything about it, she is friends with the girl that lets out the shops and i just met with her, he was right there is a 1 month down payment then we get 6 weeks for free and there are absolutely no rates.

its a fantastic little space that im very happy with it has workbenches etc already installed, need to put up some racking etc but not much. i don't know why but you guys get the impression i don't know what im doing and for the business side i do agree, but im learning and im not an idiot, if i didn't think it would work i wouldn't do it, with the yell ad going out next week i think this is a good time for us to get a place, the yell stats show that on average 500 people search for computer repair in the areas that i have applied for and we wil be the first result every time.

Thanks again for the input Cadishead.

haha i never said we didn't have a client base, we get about 5 calls a week with almost no advertising, i didn't mean my mum knew anything about it, she is friends with the girl that lets out the shops and i just met with her, he was right there is a 1 month down payment then we get 6 weeks for free and there are absolutely no rates.

its a fantastic little space that im very happy with it has workbenches etc already installed, need to put up some racking etc but not much. i don't know why but you guys get the impression i don't know what im doing and for the business side i do agree, but im learning and im not an idiot, if i didn't think it would work i wouldn't do it, with the yell ad going out next week i think this is a good time for us to get a place, the yell stats show that on average 500 people search for computer repair in the areas that i have applied for and we wil be the first result every time.

Thanks again for the input Cadishead.

Your most welcome mate, I truly hope you do well with this venture, but in the back of my mind, I have a bad feeling about this.

Also remember, just because you have the yell ad, does NOT mean you WILL be getting phone calls, even though its a prominent position.

IE, I had a prominent yell ad, over 2 years, and can count on my hands, the amount of business I received from it. Especially bearing in mind, I am the only IT guy, in my local area. Yell online, as done NOTHING for me, same as the Thompson online.

Yet, the yellow pages, has been a godsend. Thompson hasnt been worth the hassle, or the cost. Over £800 for thompson, down the drain. Just because the stats show 500 people have wanted pc repairs in the area your in, doesnt mean diddly.. Its converting them from wanting pc repair, to actually making sure they are ringing you, and no one else.. and that is the key to it all.. least in my view.

I truly do wish you well. But I think, that I will now sign off this thread. I really do feel, you should sit back, and work from home for a while, as I can really see this failing.. Sorry for this.

it's not that I don't think you know what you are doing. I think you are letting your optimism get the better of you.

I have always ran my business as "expect the best plan for the worst". For instance I am planning some very expensive advertising for the next year, compared to what I am paying now. The reason I can risk doing this is I already have saved up the money to cover the advertising this last year. So even if it doesn't do well, it wont break my business (But it will not be fun.)

I forget which thread but somebody said this is how computer businesses go...

1st year - you starve
2nd year - you start to do ok
3rd year - you start to do really well
4th year - you go out of business.

Because somewhere in the 2-3rd year you buy that new car, or get that house, or the new office, or the expensive yellow pages ad and can't cover it.

I think you posted this because you wanted advice.. not someone just to agree with you. I am not saying don't do it.. I am just saying make a real plan about your money and how its going to work. You mention in your post you don't have enough money to get an initial inventory at the front of the store, this makes me wonder about how much of a war chest you have.

I am just saying make a real plan about your money and how its going to work.
This.

Without a Business Plan this is unlikely to work. It's a very tough time to start a business, especially in an already crowded market, it's pointless comparing yourself to the big store providers, they will always have a customer base that wants to stick to a big name. If you think you're going to make enough money in the early days to pay three wages, plus rent & overheads and then have enough to fund a stock inventory, you really ought to be doing some real sums first before even looking for a place to rent.

From reading this thread though, I think the decision's already been made.

Good luck!

There's a lot of good info on here so far,

Personally I would forget Yell........

I spent a few hundred pound on the the last 2 years and have only had 4 customers from them and 1 was a non payer.

Have you thought that if you had only office space you can offer a FREE!!! pick up and drop off service, Thats what I do, it give me an edge over the local compitition here.

My competition is 3 main shops, one of which has started doing the pick up and drop off service; which is a pain because they are well established and have a good reputation.

What is your local competition like?
Have you done a SWOT Analysis yet on your business and theirs?

I will help you a lot if its done correctly,

also business link may be able to help you apply for any grants you may be able to apply for.

If you under 30 (I think) you can apply for a grant from the princes trust as well....

Good luck

Back