Open Source "Shareable Server / Client Calendar suggestion(s)"

Altster

Reaction score
For those of you who dabble with Linux and such,

(Other than coffee), do any of you have any suggestions for an Open Source Shareable Calendar which could be (would be) hosted on a local (READ: IN-HOUSE) Linux server which would allow the users (all on Windows computers) to be able to share and update the calendar?

I am NOT looking for "anything cloud-based!" so don't suggest that, please.

Thanks all. ;)

Look at Axigen. I've been using the free version for years but only for email. It does come with calendaring as well as contacts, they even have an Outloot connector but that is not free. The only catch is you have to, on a annual basis, grab a new free license key.

Kolab? Not too impressed that they goofed and their Download link actually goes to their bug tracker. Still, it's not really something you install via a downloaded file, better to follow the installation instructions in their documentation.

I like that they have a bunch of info in there on multi-server deployments for larger scale.

For that matter, if you're more interested in a commercial solution that you likely won't spend as much time dinking around with, consider MDaemon on Windows though I'd try it first. I'm not sure how their WorldClient web interface compares to some of the open source ones like Roundcube (used by Kolab I believe).

Any third-party server is going to have a cost associated with an Outlook connector that will let you use Outlook for calendaring, etc. so be aware of that. For MDaemon it looked like it was around $48/year/client, I'm not sure what options if any exist right now for Kolab calendaring, etc. If you want a thick client for Kolab, you may be better off with Thunderbird and tweaking the KolabNow instructions.

Last edited:
I am NOT looking for "anything cloud-based!" so don't suggest that, please.
Well, I'm going to go ahead and ignore that!

Nextcloud/ownCloud doesn't have to be on a remote server. It's acceptable on a RPi, but anything from there up will be fine. Both offer [Cal|Web|Card]DAV; synchronise natively in most clients – certainly in Thunderbird+Lightning – but read on. All FOSS. Easy to administer.

Any third-party server is going to have a cost associated with an Outlook connector that will let you use Outlook for calendaring, etc.
There's a free DAV connector for Outlook 2007-2016. No personal experience, but it's recommended by ownCloud and Nextcloud. Commercial enterprise support is available.

Back