NVMe USB adapter that passes brand info?

HCHTech

Reaction score
We have run into this problem several times now, so I'm looking for a solution. We like and mostly-use Samsung SSDs...which means we prefer the Samsung data migration software for when we're cloning. None of the USB adapters I've tried allows the Samsung software to recognize that there is a Samsung (in this case, a 970) drive in the adapter. In fact, in looking at other adapters online, I found at least one that has a warning that "this adapter will not work with Samsung Data Migration software".

I've also tried Acronis Backup & Recovery, which doesn't even recognize that there is a drive available when using one of those adapters.

I've also noted that Windows itself doesn't seems to like the adapters. If I try to mount a customer's NVMe drive that way just to backup the data, half the time Windows will report that the drive needs to be initialized before it can be used. This behavior is across several adapters, so I don't think it's just me.

I have a PCI card in one of the bench machines that allows you to mount a drive , but so far 2 of them have failed in the first handful of times we've used them. At $50 to $80 a pop, I'm not keen to throw any more darts at Amazon hoping to find the answer.

Has anyone found a stable/robust USB adapter or other solution to dealing with NVMe drives? As they get more popular, this problem is going to get bigger. We use them almost exclusively when building workstations, so I'm starting to get concerned!

We have run into this problem several times now, so I'm looking for a solution. We like and mostly-use Samsung SSDs...which means we prefer the Samsung data migration software for when we're cloning. None of the USB adapters I've tried allows the Samsung software to recognize that there is a Samsung (in this case, a 970) drive in the adapter. In fact, in looking at other adapters online, I found at least one that has a warning that "this adapter will not work with Samsung Data Migration software".

I've also tried Acronis Backup & Recovery, which doesn't even recognize that there is a drive available when using one of those adapters.

I've also noted that Windows itself doesn't seems to like the adapters. If I try to mount a customer's NVMe drive that way just to backup the data, half the time Windows will report that the drive needs to be initialized before it can be used. This behavior is across several adapters, so I don't think it's just me.

I have a PCI card in one of the bench machines that allows you to mount a drive , but so far 2 of them have failed in the first handful of times we've used them. At $50 to $80 a pop, I'm not keen to throw any more darts at Amazon hoping to find the answer.

Has anyone found a stable/robust USB adapter or other solution to dealing with NVMe drives? As they get more popular, this problem is going to get bigger. We use them almost exclusively when building workstations, so I'm starting to get concerned!

Older versions of backup software will not see usb NVMe drives you need something more current i use HDclone 9 it sees NVMe drives both usb no driver and internal seeing an NVMe drive requires a driver.

As for external i have heard good things about this enclosure.
https://www.newegg.com/p/1Z4-00H3-00019?Description=sabrent ec-nvme&cm_re=sabrent_ec-nvme-_-1Z4-00H3-00019-_-Product

https://www.sabrent.com/product/EC-NVME/usb-type-c-aluminum-enclosure-for-m-2-nvme-ssd-in-gray/

Another interesting enclosure M.2 ssd to sata and usb enclosure looks like an SSD drive with usb plug
https://www.sabrent.com/product/EC-...sata-iii-2-5-inch-aluminum-enclosure-adapter/

Sabrent has there own version of Acronis True image for that as well free for download.

Last edited:
You might be right about constructing a bench machine to handle this long-term. Since we're often cloning NVMe to NVMe, I would need to get a motherboard with 2 slots. I'll miss the oh-so-easy-and-fast migration software for this task, but it is what it is, I suppose

I don't think such a device exists...

The problem is the USB controllers emulate a storage device themselves, so the OS never sees the brand of the drive itself. The Samsung software itself is rather hostile to this purpose too because it will only image the boot volume to the target... which I presume is why you want a USB device, because it's a quick way to add a device to any system and have the migration wizard do its thing.

Beyond that when working with NVMe we're talking about emulating PCIe through the SATA bus, it would be faster just to connect directly. If I had a busy bench I think I'd use a dedicated imaging system, and perhaps use a PCIe riser to bring the NVMe card outside the enclosure and bolt it to something I can secure to the table.

So a real solution honestly is to use a different imaging solution. If you're upgrading NVMe to larger NVMe, Clonezilla does a great job of that. Windows can grow the partition easily enough with a right click, and if that doesn't work boot to gparted and done.

The problem is the USB controllers emulate a storage device themselves.

^^^ This is the real issue. At a hardware level USB does not pass all commands and information between the attached storage device and the underlying hardware bus by design. Some time ago I remember reading an article that that discussed using HDPARM commands, which utilize ATA commands, to secure erase drives amongst other actions. It cautioned against using HDPARM against USB attached drives as ATA commands would not be properly executed, thereby bricking the drive. As I understand it other interfaces like firewire, thunderbolt, and, of course, PCI and it's variants do pass the complete command set.

When it comes to cloning drives I always try to use the native interfaces. Take SATA spindle to SATA SSD. I have a clone box that I'll use for this purpose. I've done several dozen clones the last year from spindles to SSDs this way. The only problems have been related to partitions sizes which can be handled with appropriate partitioning software.

The problem is the USB controllers emulate a storage device themselves, so the OS never sees the brand of the drive itself.

I suspected as much, but what is happening then when you connect a SATA SSD with a USB adapter - that passes brand information and works just fine with the Data Migration software. We've done dozens this way in the last year. That is why I was holding out some hope that an update to the software itself would allow it to work with an NVMe drive attached to a USB adapter.

I can see the writing on the wall, though - I think we'll just build a task-specific bench machine for this purpose.

I suspected as much, but what is happening then when you connect a SATA SSD with a USB adapter - that passes brand information and works just fine with the Data Migration software. We've done dozens this way in the last year. That is why I was holding out some hope that an update to the software itself would allow it to work with an NVMe drive attached to a USB adapter.

I can see the writing on the wall, though - I think we'll just build a task-specific bench machine for this purpose.

It's not the cloning software per se. It's the USB bridge firmware. Don't know about others but I have USB2SATA bridges, older ones, that will not pass a drive size beyond 1.5tb irrespective of the OS. After not seeing a full 2tb drive I bought a new one. No problem seeing the full 2tb.

Has anyone come up with a NVMe adapter that works through USB? I have this and Windows will not even recognize the drive that's in the adapter. It wants to format it even though it has a working install of Windows on it. I suppose with them becoming more and more popular I may have to take the suggestion and build a dedicated machine for them.

I bought this one from Amazon. Could not use it with a WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe. Could not get the cover over the drive. It peeled back the label with the serial number on it. Sure hope that I don't have to do a warranty claim on that one...

This was my first experience with an NVMe drive. Is the SN750 1tb drive thicker than other NVMe drives, or was this unit not designed / manufactured correctly?

Harry Z

Back