No Windows System Sounds~!!!

zeroless

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry to bother all the experts out here, but i'll encountered a problem which i'm unable to solve.

I dl-ed a prg named FantasyDVDPlatinum which allows me to play DVDs on my comp.

Problem is, once i deleted it, all my codecs which i previous dl-ed cannot work. Thus i re-downloaded all my codecs again. Apparently, this prg also changed all my media files to be played using this prg without my knowledge/approval!

Now, the problem starts when after i restarted my comp, all my windows system sound doesn't work at all ( no start-up sounds, no error sounds etc.)

I went to the control panel/ sound and audio settings,, where normally people change their startup sounds and it seems that I am unable to 'play/preview' the selected system sounds! (the play button to play the sound became dulled over, thus no matter how i click, i am unable to
preview ' it!)

I've attached a screenshot of it. . .

However, when i play sounds or games, the sound still works.

Can anyone help me solve my problem?
I really need the system sounds to be back. . . .

Thanks in advance~!

Attachments

• Problem.JPG
    Problem.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 379
This is most likely going to be a mixer or driver issue.
Try reinstalling your sound drivers including any other applications that came with your sound card (mixers and such).

First uninstall your existing sound drivers. Goto:

Right click on My Computer and choose Properties. Goto the Hardware Tab and press the Device Manager Button. Press the Plus sign next to "Sound, video and Game Controllers" and find the name of your soundcard there.

In my case I have the following:
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
SoundMAX Intergrated Digital Audio
Standard Game Port
Video Codecs

SoundMax is the type of sound card I have (inbuilt), yours might say Creative, C-Media etc... Right click on it and choose "Uninstall".

Then load the driver CD for your sound card and reinstall it using the CD setup.

What if you don't have a CD for your sound card that was inbuilt in your computer? How can you replace a bad one?

Before you can go downloading drivers we need to know what your sound card actually is, to do this you can use a free tool called Aida32 which can be found here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html Once you have downloaded and extracted Aida32, run the Aida32.exe file to launch the application.
Upon running Aida32 there will be a list down the left hand side. Click Double-Click "Multimedia" and then "PCI/PnP Audio". There it will tell you what your sound card is. Mine says "Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - AC'97 Audio Controller".

You would then goto a site such as driverguide.com or the offical site and get the appropriate driver. If you like, paste what it says here and I'll find the driver for you.

No System Sound Windows Xp Pro Sp2

I have exactly the same problem of no system sound or ability to preview windows waive sounds (like windows log on, etc ). With the full support of three DELL technicians, uninstalling the hardware and sofware(s) and reinstalling them (Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi ), absolutely no sound. CD and DVD play just fine.

Now what?

Thanks,
Hovhannes

nayora said:
I have exactly the same problem of no system sound or ability to preview windows waive sounds (like windows log on, etc ). With the full support of three DELL technicians, uninstalling the hardware and sofware(s) and reinstalling them (Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi ), absolutely no sound. CD and DVD play just fine.

Now what?

Thanks,
Hovhannes
Seeing that you said CD and DVD play just fine. It sounds like its gonna be a driver or setting problem. The CD and DVD are working probably because you have an audio-cable going from your CD/DVD rom straight to the sound card (bypassing all other hardware).

So the good news is it probably isnt your hardware so we'll check the obvious other stuff first:

Right click on My Computer and choose properties. Goto the Hardware Tab and click the Device Manager Button.

This will bring up Device Manager that lists your installed hardware. Are there any yellow question or exclaimation marks anywhere? Expecially under "Sound, video and game controllers"? (you may need to press the plus sign next to it to expand it.

Is "Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi" or similar in there? If so it sounds like drivers are ok.

The next thing to try is goto Control Panel, choose "Sound and Audio Devices" and goto the "Audio" tab.
Under "Sound Playback, Default Device:" your sound card should be listed there. If not, use the dropdown to choose it (if the option is there). While you are on this screen, Click the volume button and make sure they are all up and none are muted.

Try all the above, let us know how you go.

No System Sound on Win XP sp2

Hi Guys, I am facing exactly the same problem. I have no system sound (i.e. welcome XP sound or shutdown system sound, etc.). This started happening when I installed a third party sound editor program and then uninstalled it.
CD and DVD work fine.
I uninstalled my sound driver (Realtech High Definition audio - ALC880 version 5.10.00.5345). I donwloaded and installed the latest version 5.10.00.5366. Still the same problem exists.
When I go to control panel -> Sound and audio devices -> Audio tab, the "MIDI Music Playback" field is blank. I change it to "SW Synth" apply the change ond OK it. I open the Sound and Audio Device properties again and the same field is cleared again. The previous setting was not saved.
The same thing happens with the Voice playback field under the Voice tab.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

No system sound in xp sp2

I can't believe how many people are hiting this problem !!!

Here is the solution that worked for me like a charm !

***BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY****

Copy the following text in a text file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
"midimapper"="midimap.dll"
"msacm.imaadpcm"="imaadp32.acm"
"msacm.msadpcm"="msadp32.acm"
"msacm.msg711"="msg711.acm"
"msacm.msgsm610"="msgsm32.acm"
"msacm.trspch"="tssoft32.acm"
"vidc.cvid"="iccvid.dll"
"VIDC.I420"="i420vfw.dll"
"vidc.iv31"="ir32_32.dll"
"vidc.iv32"="ir32_32.dll"
"vidc.iv41"="ir41_32.ax"
"VIDC.IYUV"="iyuv_32.dll"
"vidc.mrle"="msrle32.dll"
"vidc.msvc"="msvidc32.dll"
"VIDC.YVYU"="msyuv.dll"
"wavemapper"="msacm32.drv"
"msacm.msg723"="msg723.acm"
"vidc.M263"="msh263.drv"
"vidc.M261"="msh261.drv"
"msacm.msaudio1"="msaud32.acm"
"msacm.sl_anet"="sl_anet.acm"
"msacm.iac2"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\iac25_32.ax"
"vidc.iv50"="ir50_32.dll"
"wave"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer"="wdmaud.drv"
"VIDC.WMV3"="wmv9vcm.dll"
"VIDC.VP40"="vp4vfw.dll"
"msacm.voxacm160"="vct3216.acm"
"MSVideo"="vfwwdm32.dll"
"MSVideo8"="VfWWDM32.dll"
"wave1"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi1"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer1"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux"="wdmaud.drv"
"vidc.VP70"="vp7vfw.dll"
"vidc.X264"="x264vfw.dll"
"VIDC.FPS1"="frapsvid.dll"
"vidc.VP60"="vp6vfw.dll"
"vidc.VP61"="vp6vfw.dll"
"vidc.VP62"="vp6vfw.dll"
"vidc.DIVX"="DivX.dll"
"VIDC.UYVY"="msyuv.dll"
"VIDC.YUY2"="msyuv.dll"
"VIDC.YVU9"="tsbyuv.dll"
"VIDC.DRAW"="DVIDEO.DLL"
"VIDC.YV12"="yv12vfw.dll"
"wave2"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi2"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer2"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux1"="wdmaud.drv"
"wave3"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi3"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer3"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux2"="wdmaud.drv"
"VIDC.MSUD"="msulvc05.dll"
"wave4"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi4"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer4"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux3"="wdmaud.drv"

Save it as missing.reg (Make sure you include the Windows Regestry Editor Version 5.00 line) and then double click on the saved file to import it into your regestry and hey presto, you now get sound of flash content and system sound. You may have to reedit your sound scheme when you have finnished but at least syem sound & flash content now works properly.

Credit goes to: forums.techguy.org/multimedia/490867-fixed-adobe-flash-no-sound.html

I had the same problem and noticed I had Sndtdriver v32 listed as one of my hardware installs for the sound. This is for the Sound Taxi program. I uninstalled this hardware and everything is back and working like normal!:)

mikeyp -

I think I might have to name my first-born child after you, man. Really saved my ass with that one. I have about 300 machines throughout my environment that all have this issue (with SoundMax cards, btw) - and I looked and looked and looked - and finally came across your reg hack that totally solved the issue in less than a minute. Phew, thought I was going to be looking at pricing up 300 PCI sound cards for a minute there!

Thanks Dude! As they say : you da man!

-Rob

Glad to see some bizar problem has its fix here anyhow I would say this issue is ultimately the result of driver and/or codecs getting fudged around with by another app.

"vidc.cvid"="iccvid.dll"
"vidc.iv41"="ir41_32.ax"
"VIDC.YVYU"="msyuv.dll"
"vidc.M263"="msh263.drv"
"vidc.M261"="msh261.drv"
"wave"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer"="wdmaud.drv"
"VIDC.VP40"="vp4vfw.dll"
"MSVideo"="vfwwdm32.dll"
"wave1"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi1"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer1"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux"="wdmaud.drv"
"vidc.VP70"="vp7vfw.dll"
"vidc.VP60"="vp6vfw.dll"
"vidc.VP61"="vp6vfw.dll"
"vidc.VP62"="vp6vfw.dll"
"vidc.DIVX"="DivX.dll"
"VIDC.UYVY"="msyuv.dll"
"VIDC.YUY2"="msyuv.dll"
"VIDC.YVU9"="tsbyuv.dll"
"VIDC.DRAW"="DVIDEO.DLL"
"wave2"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi2"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer2"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux1"="wdmaud.drv"
"wave3"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi3"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer3"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux2"="wdmaud.drv"
"wave4"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi4"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer4"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux3"="wdmaud.drv"

Save it as missing.reg (Make sure you include the Windows Regestry Editor Version 5.00 line) and then double click on the saved file to import it into your regestry and hey presto, you now get sound of flash content and system sound. You may have to reedit your sound scheme when you have finnished but at least syem sound & flash content now works properly.

Credit goes to: forums.techguy.org/multimedia/490867-fixed-adobe-flash-no-sound.html

I did this but when I double click the saved file I get the following message:

Cannot import C:\My Documents\missing.reg:
The specified file is not a registry script.
You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor.
=====================================================

I'm not sure what I should do next.....

This no sound stuff is driving me nuts so any more help would be appreciated.....

Thanks

Peace

I did this but when I double click the saved file I get the following message:

Cannot import C:\My Documents\missing.reg:
The specified file is not a registry script.
You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor.
=====================================================

I'm not sure what I should do next.....

This no sound stuff is driving me nuts so any more help would be appreciated.....

Thanks

Peace
Browse to the location of the file
Make sure it has the extension of .reg and not .reg.txt (it may look like another text file if the other files do not have extensions)

Also make sure that the top line of the file begins with
"Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00"

Browse to the location of the file
Make sure it has the extension of .reg and not .reg.txt (it may look like another text file if the other files do not have extensions)

Also make sure that the top line of the file begins with
"Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00"

Well, I did NOT have the "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" in the saved file..

I got that corrected and saved correctly... It was saved as .reg and not .reg.txt.. SO I got the file setup correctly.. Double clicked it and it imported as described in the earlier post but I still have not windows sounds... No clicks when selecting links.. No tunes if I hit a myspace page.... Nothing..... My windows media player works fine when I play an mp3 but still no system sounds after importing the file and restarting....

I'm bummed.... This **** isn't supposed to happen when you just update a driver.... :mad: geeez.....

So, I'm still at a loss...

Any more ideas???

Your problem is different Peace they didn't update a driver they unstalled a software that went and FUBARed thier audio codecs and maybe thier drivers too. My guess is that the new driver version has issues do a Roll Back and go to the last driver if it was a working driver. If the previous driver didn't work either then... someone will have to get back with you.

Last edited:
This worked like a charm, Thanks.

Thanks for the tip. I've had this problem for months. In the threads I noticed that several people have mentioned windows errors after creating a text file. I tried using Wordpad first to make my text file but it this gave me a error when I ran it. I then used Notepad for this and your fix worked perfectly.

"vidc.cvid"="iccvid.dll"
"vidc.iv41"="ir41_32.ax"
"VIDC.YVYU"="msyuv.dll"
"vidc.M263"="msh263.drv"
"vidc.M261"="msh261.drv"
"wave"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer"="wdmaud.drv"
"VIDC.VP40"="vp4vfw.dll"
"MSVideo"="vfwwdm32.dll"
"wave1"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi1"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer1"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux"="wdmaud.drv"
"vidc.VP70"="vp7vfw.dll"
"vidc.VP60"="vp6vfw.dll"
"vidc.VP61"="vp6vfw.dll"
"vidc.VP62"="vp6vfw.dll"
"vidc.DIVX"="DivX.dll"
"VIDC.UYVY"="msyuv.dll"
"VIDC.YUY2"="msyuv.dll"
"VIDC.YVU9"="tsbyuv.dll"
"VIDC.DRAW"="DVIDEO.DLL"
"wave2"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi2"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer2"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux1"="wdmaud.drv"
"wave3"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi3"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer3"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux2"="wdmaud.drv"
"wave4"="wdmaud.drv"
"midi4"="wdmaud.drv"
"mixer4"="wdmaud.drv"
"aux3"="wdmaud.drv"

Back