No POST / No Video - Dell XPS 700

arhymas

Reaction score
I'm kind of at a loss with this one. I have disconnected every possible device / connection besides the necessities (CPU, CPU Fans, two Power Supply Connectors, Front Control Panel Connector). The customer usually fixes his computer problems himself but he was at a loss as well. He purchased a 'supposedly' good motherboard and installed it himself. There was no change in the symptoms. The computer is emitting a solid amber power light. I purchased an identical new power supply and just connected it up. Still, there was no change in the symptoms. I suppose it could be the processor but I hate just throwing parts at a system until something works. All my experience says it is still the motherboard even though the motherboard was already replaced. The problem is you cannot find this motherboard anywhere. You can purchase the parts to upgrade the computer to the Dell XPS 720 but that is looking like it will cost between $300-$350 dollars. The client doesn't want to spend anymore than $250.

Sorry for the long post. Is there anyone on here familiar with the XPS 700 system? Where do you purchase old manufacturer specific parts? Anyone else have any bright ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

If you can get a POST card you could see if the mobo is doing anything at all.

It would be hard to believe the cpu is bad, but since the client handled the install it could be. Also never trust anything the client says about why they did the mobo replacement or what they did when they replaced it.

Be sure to blow out the BIOS (jumper?) in case he tried some kind of overclocking or put some stupid entry in the BIOS which is now causing it to just sit there.

On some dell's when you get a steady amber light the problem is the MB, i had the same problem on my own computer.

I'm really thinking it is probably the motherboard. The client did give me the old motherboard. The replacement motherboard he purchase off E-bay and that is the only place I could find it as well. Where have you found is be best place to purchase old manufacturer proprietary parts? I have been using DiscountElectronics.com for mostly desktop parts and for the hard to find laptop parts I use Notebookparts.com.

Where do you find a good POST card that is fairly inexpensive and works well?

The fans are running at full power and hold. Let me try and "blow out the BIOS" and I'll let you know if anything changes. I'm going to check the CPU as well.

Also, as far as the power supply, I thought it probable that since the motherboard was already replaced that the power supply could be having problems. I couldn't try a different power supply because of it's dell proprietary power connectors... at least I couldn't find a power supply that would work.

steady amber light actually means that the power supply is working but the system is not processing data. can you check the diagnostics light on the front labeled 1234. w/c ones are lit?... if the number 3 is lit that means its the processor.

steady amber light actually means that the power supply is working but the system is not processing data. can you check the diagnostics light on the front labeled 1234. w/c ones are lit?... if the number 3 is lit that means its the processor.

None of the diagnostics lights are on as the computer doesn't even get to that point in the boot process. That was one of the first things I checked. :)

I work Dell computers pretty much exclusively. Amber power light 9 out of 10 times is the motherboard, PSU occassionally, add-on card occassionally. I think I've only replaced a processor once. My bet is you've got a bad motherboard. Have you contacted Dell support to see if you can get a motherboard from them? It's probably going to cost a couple hundred through them. I just requested a quote from Dell for 4 WS380 motherboards and the total bill is 800 bucks. Dell is funny sometimes, it seems to be harder to get parts for newer machines than it is for the older ones. My thought is Dell tends to hang on to the parts for machines they still cover under warranty.

Sorry, I'm rambling now. Go with a motherboard.

Rider

I still favour rechecking the wiring. Don't forget an Amateur (however gifted) did this last.

Dell (however professional?) have pulled some strange wiring stunts over the years.

Some current models have a scrunched up ribbon cable connecting the front panel with the motherboard via headers and sockets.
These are very vulnerable and pc's with this connection damaged exhibit just the symptoms you are describing.
Unfortunately a replacement cable cost £40 - £50 in the UK and as they are an unusual size, sourcing ribbon cable and headers to roll ones own is difficult.

Since two motherboards have presented the same symptoms I would continue to look widely.

Rider & studiot, both great comments. Thanks all for your help. I'm going to check the ribbon cable first. Maybe I can find a cheap one somewhere online. Any online places that anyone think might have one? Is it possible to tell just by looking at the cable or the connectors if they are damaged?

If it really is the motherboard, look on Ebay: you can sometimes find an exact match or another Dell motherboard that will fit, sometimes a salvage pc.

This can make the repair project economically viable comapred with new from Dell.

For instance I curently have a Dell Dimension C521 with the cable fault I described. The customer decided not to spend the £50 plus tax, fitting and markup for the new cable but put the money towards a new pc.

I am also looking at the cost benefit of repairing a Dimension 9100 with a trashed WD hard drive for another customer.

It's a delicate balance.

I am dealing with pretty much the same issue on a friend's machine (XPS 700 with Dual 7950X2). I don't have much experience working on proprietary systems and this is confusing me.

My friend says he was editing his Fantasy Football roster, when the PC froze, the mouse still worked, but he couldn't do anything, than the PC Beeped and shut down.

Upon letting it sit and booting it up, the fans come on but in a way they did not before. He says the one fan would not turn on till windows came up, but now they all come on.

Nothing displays on the screen, no posting beeps, or anything.

I unseated the RAM, disconnected all hardware, changed video cards, even took out the CPU, reapplied some thermal paste, reconnected the HS. Took out the CMOS battery (could not see a jumper reset) Still same issue.

I was wondering if maybe the PS is bad, and supplying enough power to get the PC to boot properly, or if the MB is shot. I don't think its the CPU, or the RAM, as I tried removing one at a time, and changing slots.

Any help and continued updates on the OP issue are apprciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Can you test the motherboards on a seperate system and see if they work? I Wouldnt be surprised if the customer damaged his new motherboard. Often times a "computer guy" will mess up a motherboard. I had a friend who thought he was a computer expert in highschool who decided to put his own computer together and put his AMD athlon system together without thermal paste...

Well it did run.

For about 10 seconds. Then the processor and motherboard were toast. Also to be honest a lot of customers won't tell you they damaged their computer while trying to repair it.

Just an update on my situation. I found a cheap refurbished mb on ebay (less than a 100) and swapped it in to the pc. Booted right up!

So far so good.

I have to say though, that working inside that case is not fun.

I'm still trying to fix my customer's XPS 700. I've been trying to no avail to find the front panel ribbon cable. I found one on ebay but only one and it is not longer their. Does anyone have any ideas on where to get that part?

Describe it.

Most most modern Dells have a similar cable. Just get the length, the number of wires in the flat cable and the headers right.

I've just replaced a cable in a C521 with one out of a 9000 series. Slightly longer and not scrunched up, but it does the job.

Back