[REQUEST] Network Printer Settings

designwebs

Reaction score
I have a network printer that prints labels. The printer is installed on each machine that uses it.
I need to network printer settings to be the default for all that use it. As it stands now the printer settings on the individual pc are the default settings. I need the printer settings on the printer installed on the server to be the default not on the machine it is setup on.

How can this be done?

If the "server" is running a server OS then install the printer on the server and install it on the workstations from there. You can use GPO or share the printer from the server. The workstations will pull the settings from the server.

It is a windows server. The printer is already installed on each workstation. Should I remove it from each workstation and then reinstall it again?

Yes. Install it on the server and set it to be shared. Then you can go to each workstation and uninstall the printer then go to \\servername in Windows Explorer and double click the printer and it will install. Typically when you install a printer it becomes the default, but it's best to verify that after the installation.

Otherwise you could a setup group policy to deploy the printer to the required workstations and when the users logoff/logon or reboot the printers will be automatically installed.

It's really up to you which method you want to use and your comfortability with GPO.

I push out printers via GPO....Printer Deploy management.

You can also use GPO to control which printer is the Default printer.

Also from the print server, printer properties, Advanced tab, Printer Defaults button....any custom/default printer properties you set here will be pushed to clients.

Back