[SOLVED] Network card causing reboot on shutdown

Haggis

Reaction score
Hi,

Hope someone can help.

I'm busy trying to get an old Packard Bell imedia 4609 sorted for a local carwash company who want a cheap pc for some basic things like word processing and internet, nothing to tasking.

I reinstalled Windows XP and full formatted drive, updated all drivers, bios etc where possible as it's an older machine, so far so good everything works how it should.

I then needed to install a network card so I got a new Tanda 10/100/1000 and installed and updated it's driver accordingly.

Problem is when the network card is fitted inany of the PCI slots the machine will reboot on shut down instead of shutting down. Same thing happens even if you disable the card in device manager. But remove the card and hey presto the machine shuts down.

I don't have another network card to try at the moment to rule out any mobo probs although the graphics card works fine in all slots, which leads me to believe the new Tanda card is the issue. When it's installed it works fine not issues connecting to the net.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Have not heard of that brand NIC...do you have any other more common NIC to try?

Try updating the BIOS of that PC?

Not knowing the vintage of that computer...is there a setting in the BIOS to flip between older ACPI and newer APIC mode?

Sounds like an IRQ issue. Go to device manager -> view by connection.

Do this with the card in place and the driver enabled.

See if the card is sharing an IRQ with anything else. If so see if your BIOS allows you to set an IRQ to a PCI slot or to tell what IRQ's can be reserved.

Can't explain all that to you if you are not familiar with it but those are the things I would go for.

BTW - get a used 3com 3c90x NIC and keep it around for these kind of things. The old 3com cards are supported by just about everything out there and are a good tool for testing nic issues.

BTW - get a used 3com 3c90x NIC and keep it around for these kind of things. The old 3com cards are supported by just about everything out there and are a good tool for testing nic issues.

Yeah they rocked...sadly though, no drivers for Windows 7....so my piles and piles of 905 cards are now being slowly discarded instead of just collecting dust.

Re: IRQs....pre-Windows XP..actually pre-Windows 2000 hardware, the BIOS were all ACPI and settings of IRQs of up to IRQ 15. Commonly NICs were 5, 7, or 11...and they often shared with one other device.

But after Win2K came out..the operating system now supported "virtual IRQs"...and BIOS started coming out with APIC as an option instead of ACPI. Now you had 23 hardware IRQs and then "virtual IRQ's after that..which typically went into the 30's but I think technically it was infinite. IRQ sharing became a thing of the past...extinct, no longer an issue.

Wake on LAN being triggered incorrectly perhaps? Does this card support that? If so check to make sure the cat5 wiring is correct. Could be a faulty hub/router/switch causing an issue.

Test shutting down with the lan card in place but no cable connected.

Yeah, but this is an ancient machine running XP. I still think its a conflict, either IRQ or address, but leaning towards IRQ.

Which is...."post-APIC"....see my above reply. IRQ conflicts and dealing with <15 IRQs was a thing of pre-Windows 2000 days. The OP is talking about a WinXP machine...which, correct me if I'm wrong, is post-Windows 2000. Unless he purchased the Packard Smell computer from the Windows 98 era and paved 'n loaded WinXP.

Ok, Haggis, humor me.

Put the old card in and make sure its enabled in drivers. Boot it to be sure its all up and happy. Go to the device mangler and check the IRQ's. Can't hurt to try. :p

Hi guys,

Sorry for not posting back sooner but got dragged out by my good wife to go shopping, seemingly her need for new boots are more important than me making money lol.

Anyway, I tried all your suggestions but to no avail, no IRQ conflicts, no option in BIOS to set channel, still reboots when cat5 disconnected etc etc. Really is strange.
Anyway I took the network card back to the local retailer and told them what was happening and got some shrugging of shoulders, but did tell them to try it in their test machine to see if it is a faulty card, should find out tomorrow from them.

Serves me right for buying a cheap never heard of brand as a supposed money saver.Lesson learned.

Thanks for your ideas.

Haggis

Not got another card at the moment, getting a known working one over next couple days to try and hopefully will know about the one that was giving me all the problems if it's a dud or not.

I learned the hard way too about cheap tech. Sometimes the $5-10 is just not worth it.

I think Microcenter sells TEnda products, like a router for $15. Scary...

I def would recommend a try with a better NIC.

EDIT:
Is THIS your card?

Oh and NYJimbo/StoneCat, it does mention ACPI, Too late to look further into that, but it is an interesting topic of discussion...

Last edited:
Problem solved :)

Seemingly the NIC that I bought was faulty, so got a nice new fully tested one from the store, but guess what......same problem....aaaaarrrggghhh.

But then I finally got another NIC out another machine which I know works and transferred the NIC from one machine to another and WOOHOOO problem solved :) sytem fully functional now after drivers self installed, and as it happens it was a 3com NIC, looks like they are a little cracker.

So I can recommend that you stay away from anything Tenda.

Thanks for your help.

Haggis

Back