Need Help removing AVG on WIN XP

Jsch38

Reaction score
I had installed AVG free Edition on a dell insprion 1521 laptop.
I then decidied to remove it using the AVG removal utility.
I ran the utility and restarted the system.
The screen still displays the AVG icon on the dektop and in the quickstart meun in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen.
I then found the AVG folder in Programs Folder and deleted it. I also tried the AVG removal utility again. & restarted the laptop. I still have the same issue.
Any Suggestions ?
Thanks In Adavnce For Your Help :)

I've seen AVG removals fail if something (usually malware) has taken away your rights to modify the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows key. Remove the deny permission that was added and try the removal again.

Check Msconfig see if it’s still in the startup if not it was probably removed
Also check services not used by Windows see if its there
You will have to deleted anything that shows up in a search
I don’t use AVG anymore it causes too many problems, I use Avast free not the best I’m sure
But works without a problem

Last edited:
We had one like this, avg wouldnt uninstall, and avg removal tool didnt work, We just reinstalled avg again over the previous install, then restarted, and removed it in add/remove programs. Hope this works for you.

We had one like this, avg wouldnt uninstall, and avg removal tool didnt work, We just reinstalled avg again over the previous install, then restarted, and removed it in add/remove programs. Hope this works for you.

Done this myself, install it with the latest version then uninstall it. Should remove the lot.

Use revo uninstaller. The revo uninstaller will completely uninstall the AVG including all it's registry entries

Problem Fixed

I was using an older verison of uninstaller tool from AVG. I downloaded and ran the latest uninstaller from their site and ran it. AVG was completely removed.
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP :)

Great stuff. I had already tried Revo etc and the only way was installing the latest full version and using the uninstaller like you did.

Back